JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Rain"> White Knuckled Driving(Hand Siped)

:bawling:Ok, just picked up my Granddaughter & hit some very heavy down pours here in Central Pa. Hydro-Plaining a lot(BFG M/T), had to be on my toe's every second. Can't find anybody close that has the Machine like "Discount Tire" has ....I'll no doubt do it by hand, I know the hot knives run around $70 - $80 & some do it with a utility knive. Who wants to send me a hot knive, I use paypal to rent or buy it(I'll pay Shipping & Fee.????? or who lives close to me in Central Pa that I can make a run to your place. (Siping)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Siped with Utility Kife

Well, took a job on that is very time consuming & back breaking. I only have 1/2 of both front tires to do tomorrow. I set the Knife at 1/4" & went to town, there isn't nothing on my body that isn't hurting.:bawling:

·
14ers
479 Posts
I guess a little is better than none. You really had trouble with puddles? Maybe the Rubi's not heavy enough? Needs more 1/4" armor plating:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess a little is better than none. You really had trouble with puddles? Maybe the Rubi's not heavy enough? Needs more 1/4" armor plating:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Thx Toad,..you promoted my "X" to a "Rubi"....I'm going out to check..:D
Yes to the puddles,...I'll see if this actually does what it's suposed to.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
man! I can not belive you did that by hand! How many times did you think to yourself "WTF am I doing? my arm is going to fall off!!" :grinpimp:

You will be happy with the results. I recently had my tires siped (35" bfg m/t). Won't help much for the hydroplaning but you will have better stopping power on slippery hard surfaces like wet tarmac or icey/packed snow roads!:D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man! I can not belive you did that by hand! How many times did you think to yourself "WTF am I doing? my arm is going to fall off!!" :grinpimp:

You will be happy with the results. I recently had my tires siped (35" bfg m/t). Won't help much for the hydroplaning but you will have better stopping power on slippery hard surfaces like wet tarmac or icey/packed snow roads!:D
Thx for the positive info,...they oughtta make all the inmates in prison do this by hand, everyday you get a new set to do, guaranteed they won't be back to prison. Yes, I said "WTF" did I get myself into over & over, there isn't a part of my body that doesn't hurt.:bawling: wish I was 21 again....

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Wow. That's about crazy! I'm fairly certain that by doing this manually you can easily be committed. :grinpimp:

Did you at least put a torch to the razor blade to heat the blade and make it slice easier?

Hey you wanna do mine too. I'll pay you, I've got 20 bucks. :laughing:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:laughing2:
Wow. That's about crazy! I'm fairly certain that by doing this manually you can easily be committed. :grinpimp:

Did you at least put a torch to the razor blade to heat the blade and make it slice easier?

Hey you wanna do mine too. I'll pay you, I've got 20 bucks. :laughing:
Michael, at this point I wouldn't take $20 a "Lug",..setting here thinking the final 2/3 of the front I gotta do tonight, man, I always thought I hated to paint. I will be putting the torch to the blade tonight, when I finish my last "Sipe" I'll be doing this>>>:laughing2::rasta:
You gotta see my wife come out every 1/2 hour "shake her head & walk back in".

·
Registered
343 Posts
Boy I cringe at the idea of trying to do that by hand, especially with just a razor knife. I think after about 1/2 of the first tire I would have been thinking road trip to take it somewhere with a siping machine. I do admire your determination. My back and hands hurt just reading about it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wow, you da man. But I wish I had found this thread earlier. Like WTF LOL said, it won't really help with the hydroplaning. It's good for stoping on icy surfaces because it creates more edges to bite, but it doesn't create anywhere for the water to go, so it won't really help you there.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, you da man. But I wish I had found this thread earlier. Like WTF LOL said, it won't really help with the hydroplaning. It's good for stoping on icy surfaces because it creates more edges to bite, but it doesn't create anywhere for the water to go, so it won't really help you there.
I hear you guy's, keep in mind the water fell hard & fast, pretty deep in some spots, I imagine everyone had their hands full. Yes, it will help in winter a dab, & it's almost here in Pa. (34 this morning). I have to say this, these BFG m/t are "Hogs"(good term) when wheelin.. Well, I've gotta get my brain situated, because I got a bunch more work on them in about an hour, going to heatum up , plus the knife.

·
14ers
479 Posts
You go. And since it's a Rubi now, make sure the cuts are straight and true!:bounce:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
If you still need a hot tire groover I can loan you mine but you wil have to wait a week till I get done with this military crap.
I am pretty sure you saw the write up on how to use it that I wrote here.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you still need a hot tire groover I can loan you mine but you wil have to wait a week till I get done with this military crap.
I am pretty sure you saw the write up on how to use it that I wrote here.
Thx for the offer Doc, but I finally got all 4 done, my new spare is the only one not done. Don't know what I'm going to do with that yet, but I dunno, they ought to have this technique at (MCRD Parris Island) as a requirement in, > * Physical Endurance, * Mental Strength, Humane Pain, & * Will Power.... "Pass/Fail requirement".:devil:
PS, I do remmember your how-to right up on the grooving/sipping..good one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts