JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a decent radio, XM ready, iPod friendly, CD optional but with blue tooth, Garmin quality Nav, and Back-Up Camera capable. Any suggestions? Price is no concern, only quality and function. I have upgraded all speakers to 10kick77's and have factory rear sub. Which camera are you running and how do you like it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just installed lockpick and their bar camera as my front and rear can. Lockpick makes it so easy. Barcam has nice pic and came with all the wires. I love how lockpick has included everything and labled the wires on the harness. I would buy lockpick/barcam again in a heart beat. Not having hunt for stuff to complete my project priceless:bounce:

·
Vendor
2,324 Posts
We are kinda like the Kenwood lineup! DNX6980 is a great all in one ready radio. You would need to add your Ipod connection, XM radio and Bluetooth if that is something you would like. We also carry many other brands as well. Let us know if we can be of any help!

-Jason

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Stay away from Dual!
it has all of the features, and some of them even work. :shaking:

wish I had spent a few more bucks and went with a pioneer avic

·
Registered
6,380 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got the Pioneer AVH-P4300 DVD with the HD-Customs license mount and back-up camera. My model does not have Navi yet but they are releasing a cradle that will allow the use of a GPS on a iPhone. Other plus side is it has Pandora.

There is a model with a built in Navi.

·
Vendor
2,324 Posts
yeah but I did this back in Dec. '08 ;)
LOL okay, you got me there! We had just not made it to JKO yet. We have been in the Audio business for 12yrs though!!

I got the Pioneer AVH-P4300 DVD with the HD-Customs license mount and back-up camera. My model does not have Navi yet but they are releasing a cradle that will allow the use of a GPS on a iPhone. Other plus side is it has Pandora.

There is a model with a built in Navi.
This is the new way! A lot, if not all companies are coming out with a built in Navi option. It makes it so much easier to install! When Navi first came out, it was a totally sperate unit about the same size of the head unit. In a lot of applications, it was really hard to hide! Now, all you have to do is run the antenna!

Sorry to the OP for the highjack...

-Jason

·
Registered
382 Posts
Stay away from Dual!
it has all of the features, and some of them even work. :shaking:

wish I had spent a few more bucks and went with a pioneer avic
Well I spent the bux on the Pioneer Avic...... cant wait to get rid of it. The controls bring the suck, the handsfree kinda works when whoever your talking to can actualy hear you, PITA browsing songs on your phone, the nav is kinda awkward to use...just not very user friendly, it has spots in the different volume ranges where it is excessively bass heavy...etc etc etc.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Well I spent the bux on the Pioneer Avic...... cant wait to get rid of it. The controls bring the suck, the handsfree kinda works when whoever your talking to can actualy hear you, PITA browsing songs on your phone...etc etc etc.
the dual has been able to read 1 dvd out off all I've tried. but it reads that one just fine - all others "insert disc".
the touch screen is iffy - usually gotta touch and hold and wait
no autodim at night - no dimming at all - thats one of my biggest complaints.

the nav is great though, and it works most of the time - except that its all stored on a SD card and I've had to format/rebuild the card a couple of times after it went corrupt and the nav didnt work at all "insert sd card"
It doesn't remember the volume it was at when you shut it off
the screen angle usually goes to where its set when you turn it on, sometimes more sometimes nothing.

Bluetooth works fine, except when you rec a call, the ring comes through the stereo - great!
Answer it and it switches over to the phone for audio automatically - great, but if you switch it back to the phone to take the call, then it unmutes the radio and keeps the volume control locked out - brilliant!
so you have to kill the power to the radio to turn the volume down to take the call....

shall I go on?
still think your pioneer sucks? :thefinger:

the mygig in my dads RAM has the WORST user interface for the nav entry that I have ever seen!
talk about not user friendly and absolutely no user intuition

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the Kenwood DNX6960 in my JKU. It is a nice unit, but startup software is slow. I started with an Alpine camera due to recommendations (a CCD), but it just stopped working one day so I now have a Sony. Frustrating though, as recently it also stopped working, when shifting to reverse (It still can be manually turned on). Maybe I have a poor ground or something to track down. Kenwood units are easy to set up so passengers can watch the cam or DVDs while in motion, no lockpick required. The IPOD interface is slow, but does work (you have to buy an extra cable though to interface and get video). I used the PAC adapter so the unit powers on/off and display dims with the jeep systems. Also added Chameleon DVD headrests for the kids and this was easy to set up. The unit has a great Nav system (Garmin) and they had a Jeep Icon in the library to customize the map display. The best part is the sound quality improved greatly, even with the stock Infinity speakers. Overall, I'd recommend the unit for JKs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts