JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used Jeep radio to install in my 2013 wrangler. I thought the “upgraded “ Jeep radio was plug and play. Plug everything in and the radio has power for a second then shuts down. Put the old radio back in it works fine. Tried adding a separate ground wire but that didn’t fix the issue. Any suggestions? Anyone have this issue and know what to do? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Not sure, but it might be that the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is setup for the original radio. Jeep engineers went a little bonkers with the electrical system, connecting just about EVERYTHING through the TIPM. So much so, when you push the button to turn on the radio, you're really sending a "radio - power ON" request to the TIPM; the TIPM then actually turns on the radio. Windshield wipers? The switch merely sends a signal to the TIPM, you know the rest lol.

The TIPM is the black box next to the battery, fuses under the top cover.

Might be able to take it to the dealer to have the TIPM reset to use the upgrade version. Probably worth giving 'em a call.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 430 and 430N are plug and play as long as you have the security code (if it says anti-theft on the face of the radio) and it is the correct bus speed. The 430's were made in low and high speed versions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts