JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Update on mine:

I bought a $130 unit from Advanced with lifetime replacement... It loosened in its cradle after about 20k miles including 10 hour drives to run level 6 trails. I could have re tightened it, but I chose for a new unit with locktite.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just ordered mine yesterday.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
i scoured the web. lost out on a couple of lower ebay auctions... and nailed another one. apparently, it scared a few people away or something. seemed like there were several watching it.

Spal #30102803.... won on ebay for $75. it has slightly higher cfm ratings than the 30102082 fan, but a higher current draw. this is also a warning on their item description. i forget where, but the current draw was listed as 44 amps. with the stock fan fused at 60 amps... i figured what the heck. so i bid. and i got it.

I cut the plug off and wired it to the stock harness via crimps with heat-shrink. The end result? well. I do NOT agree with the one of the fan specs... "quiet operation" my ass.
(yes, yes... its crappy video, but its what was handy.... besides, the audio is more important)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200540668175203&l=4915648899718568078
Sounds like a fucking jet engine at idle when it is on high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did mine today but with the 30102050 SPAL instead.
There is another way to install this on the existing shroud with little cutting, if you take the SPAL apart, motor off the shroud and fan off motor you can slide the SPAL motor into the hole the stock one was in.
Cut the plastic spacers to the motor off the SPAL shroud and put that shroud inside the existing shroud.
Screw it back together going through the stock shroud plastic.
Put the fan back on, try not to flick the circlip across the shed in the process.
If anyones interested i can take a pic.
Yes please, can you send a few pics?

·
Registered
229 Posts
i scoured the web. lost out on a couple of lower ebay auctions... and nailed another one. apparently, it scared a few people away or something. seemed like there were several watching it.

Spal #30102803.... won on ebay for $75. it has slightly higher cfm ratings than the 30102082 fan, but a higher current draw. this is also a warning on their item description. i forget where, but the current draw was listed as 44 amps. with the stock fan fused at 60 amps... i figured what the heck. so i bid. and i got it.

I cut the plug off and wired it to the stock harness via crimps with heat-shrink. The end result? well. I do NOT agree with the one of the fan specs... "quiet operation" my ass.

(yes, yes... its crappy video, but its what was handy.... besides, the audio is more important)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200540668175203&l=4915648899718568078

how has this fan held up? im guessing fine?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine has held up fine as well in south florida for the last three years.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine after a year has quit on me

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just ran across this thread... I am looking to increase the cooling capability by using a better fan on my 2012 rubicon, as it runs hotter than I like, but have a question before I go this route.

The Spal fans are only single speed, and while the airflow is better than the stock at the low speed, I imagine the stock fan has a higher output while on the high speed.

In reading this thread, the comments convey that everyone is getting 2 speeds from the Spal, what am I missing?

Was the Spal a direct replacement for the primary fan, or added in front of the radiator as a supplemental fan?

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Other than being sealed I prefer the OE fan assembly. Both the Spal and OE fan are single wound motors, not dual wound. A true dual wound fan motor costs more and is larger. Two speeds are achieved by using a voltage divider to bring low speed voltage down to about 8 volts, cheap.

The Pentstar uses a powerful outrunner PWM fan motor with a 18 1/2" blade, a good design with crappy TIPM control.

You cannot easily swap out a Pentstar fan motor. We have been running true dual fans, we find they cover more of the radiator, pull more cfm and give more room for V8's. I'm driving a high compression LS3 right now in a lifted black Rubicon and is 115 here in Vegas its staying about 205 degrees with our dual fans.

Reprogramming the Pentstar fan helps it run cooler.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Mine still works good. I was fooling with my programmer and I think I goofed up on the values for the fan on/off temps. I was towing our trailer yesterday with the a/c on in 90 degree temps. The Jeep didn't like it and started running warm. I shut the A/C off when moving. Turned it on when stopped. Fan was running short cycles and not coming on high speed. I think its my fault at this point. When I get a chance, I'll plug the programmer back in and fix it.

Otherwise.... still sounds like a plane taking off. :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Years later is this still a good setup? I have a 2010 JK with a G3 6.0. No kit. It will be 119' here in the desert today. What's a good controller for this?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts