JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oz I agree about the speeds, I had both, its just the low speed on the spal is faster louder then the stock I think thats what fooled some, also the fan doesnt go on high unless u have a/c on till temp is at 222

·
Registered
519 Posts
Working on this right now. The first water crossing on the Mojave road killed mine this morning:pissed:, i was able to limp home only because it was 43 degrees and raining on the 15 freeway.

killed my entire saturday, i had to go to Corona to Kartek to get one so i could have my jeep back up and running for sunday :pissed::pissed:

I dont know who's worse AEV for lying to me about the radiator being a Griffin and it it isnt or Jeep for making such a sh1tty fan motor assembly.

I'll let you guys know how this works on a Hemi powered JK.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Working on this right now. The first water crossing on the Mojave road killed mine this morning:pissed:, i was able to limp home only because it was 43 degrees and raining on the 15 freeway.

killed my entire saturday, i had to go to Corona to Kartek to get one so i could have my jeep back up and running for sunday :pissed::pissed:

I dont know who's worse AEV for lying to me about the radiator being a Griffin and it it isnt or Jeep for making such a sh1tty fan motor assembly.

I'll let you guys know how this works on a Hemi powered JK.
I jsut saw this....how did it work out for you? what model did you get?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I jsut saw this....how did it work out for you? what model did you get?
i got the very same part number from Kartek. it worked great today in calico keeping the jeep cool while i broke both front and rear axles on gatekeeper :pissed::pissed::pissed:

but i digress. i followed the install and it was more difficult because of the lack of space but it worked. new griffin on the way but this will most likely to cause me to move the fant to the front as the griffin is 1" thicker and i dont have the room.

i'll have plenty of time to play with it, fawkin jeep isnt going anywhere for a while :pissed:

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i got the very same part number from Kartek. it worked great today in calico keeping the jeep cool while i broke both front and rear axles on gatekeeper :pissed::pissed::pissed:

but i digress. i followed the install and it was more difficult because of the lack of space but it worked. new griffin on the way but this will most likely to cause me to move the fant to the front as the griffin is 1" thicker and i dont have the room.

i'll have plenty of time to play with it, fawkin jeep isnt going anywhere for a while :pissed:
damn that sucks ass, how'd you get out of there with both broken?

I have the griffin radiator also, I wouldnt say it cools 25% more but the mud cleans out of it a LOT easier then the pos stock, the fins are a little further apart. Wow dont have a inch that shit is tight with a hemi, that had to suck getting the shroud out. you still use ethe stock shroud right? I know the bottle isnt mounted on it anymore, maybe can do away with stock shroud and mount fan to rad, they also have I think 2 spals that have higher cfm's

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Tim,

The shroud part number you listed comes up as a fan shroud for a manual trans JK. I didn't realize that there were two. I searched wholesalemopar.com and looked it up via a parts finder. There it gives me a price of 30.49 (MSRP 42.00). I don't think I'm finding the same part number but I can't be sure since it won't let me see the actual part number. I want to order the right shroud and I want to be sure before I pull the trigger.

My stock fan assembly works fine but I want to use the SPAL PWM Ver 3 controller. The stock fan must pull too many amps because when it gets to the second speed the SPAL controller throws a code that it is pulling too many amps. The controller will shut down if the fan pulls more than 30 amps. The low speed setting works great. If this SPAL fan cools correctly this will be a good workaround for those of us that have the AEV hemi swap, which runs the stock fan on high ALL the time.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Tim,

The shroud part number you listed comes up as a fan shroud for a manual trans JK. I didn't realize that there were two. I searched wholesalemopar.com and looked it up via a parts finder. There it gives me a price of 30.49 (MSRP 42.00). I don't think I'm finding the same part number but I can't be sure since it won't let me see the actual part number. I want to order the right shroud and I want to be sure before I pull the trigger.

My stock fan assembly works fine but I want to use the SPAL PWM Ver 3 controller. The stock fan must pull too many amps because when it gets to the second speed the SPAL controller throws a code that it is pulling too many amps. The controller will shut down if the fan pulls more than 30 amps. The low speed setting works great. If this SPAL fan cools correctly this will be a good workaround for those of us that have the AEV hemi swap, which runs the stock fan on high ALL the time.
Hey Tim
The fan shrouds and even the motors are the same. I've seen that listed as manual trans fan also but I know its the same. I've changed fans in both. That is the part # I got for my first replacement fan way back when and I have an auto. I just looked at my 08 parts list and it lists 3 different numbers including the one I originally listed.

on moparonlineparts.com
original 68039594AA does come up listing for manual as it more money(I know for fact its the same damn shroud as mine. So I wonder if the next one is the "auto" one and they charge less for it. The crazy thing is if you go thru any of the online parts stores it always listed the auto fan for about 100 more then the manual fan:shaking:
this one 55057123AB comes up just as fan shroud 07-08 list $42 buy for 27.85
this one 55057127AB comes up just shroud fan

I say go with the 123AB

Check out universal parts ebay store for any spal parts, they have great prices. If you want pm me your email address and I can forward you the emails I had going with the spal engineer if you want to talk to him also.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks Tim. I placed an order for the same SPAL fan from Universal Parts. They do have great prices.

I'll see if this fan sorts out my issues with the SPAL PWM v3 controller. One of the other hemi guys did the SPAL controller and his works fine. Granted his is an 07 and mine is an 08 but that really shouldn't matter. The connecters on the factory fan for the factory harness were a little different (electrical connection blades were in different positions) but I would think that the fan itself would be the same or very similar between years. He suggested that my fan might be heading south already and, therefore, pulling more amps. Whatever the case, I hope the SPAL fan sorts it out. If not, I'll probably need to talk to the engineer at SPAL.

Thanks again for the info. I'll give the 123AB a shot.

Tim

·
Registered
496 Posts
the foam isnt necessary right? i dont have good experiences with expanding foam:D
Neither did the guy that egged my house and pool...after I paid his house a visit. Expandable Foam + house + car's exhaust = PITA that I don't have to worry about anymore.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Great writeup. Did this install today and it was a breeze. This fan is worlds better than the stock. I will point out a couple of things for anyone else considering the swap. First, when removing the stock shroud, mine was also anchored on the bottom with three of those plastic pushpin things. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come out until I got under it. So, to make life easier, separate the shroud from those before trying to lift out. Second, I wasn't sure what length bolts to use, but ended up using 1/4" x 2" bolts with those nylon lock nuts. You may be able to get away with 1-1/2" bolts, but 2" was what I had.

Thanks for doing the writeup, Tim. Well done and I am in love with this one. Can't wait to see how it holds up to snorkeling in the pines. :beer:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did mine today but with the 30102050 SPAL instead.
There is another way to install this on the existing shroud with little cutting, if you take the SPAL apart, motor off the shroud and fan off motor you can slide the SPAL motor into the hole the stock one was in.
Cut the plastic spacers to the motor off the SPAL shroud and put that shroud inside the existing shroud.
Screw it back together going through the stock shroud plastic.
Put the fan back on, try not to flick the circlip across the shed in the process.
If anyones interested i can take a pic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but why did u go with the 30102050 instead of the 30102082 fan? How is it holding up for you so far? I will probably be doing this to my jk soon, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, I ended up getting the one from universal parts. Now I just need to
get a new shroud so I can keep my oem fan for a backup. 4wd.com has the shroud for like 47 bucks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i scoured the web. lost out on a couple of lower ebay auctions... and nailed another one. apparently, it scared a few people away or something. seemed like there were several watching it.

Spal #30102803.... won on ebay for $75. it has slightly higher cfm ratings than the 30102082 fan, but a higher current draw. this is also a warning on their item description. i forget where, but the current draw was listed as 44 amps. with the stock fan fused at 60 amps... i figured what the heck. so i bid. and i got it.

I cut the plug off and wired it to the stock harness via crimps with heat-shrink. The end result? well. I do NOT agree with the one of the fan specs... "quiet operation" my ass.

(yes, yes... its crappy video, but its what was handy.... besides, the audio is more important)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200540668175203&l=4915648899718568078

21 - 40 of 53 Posts