JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 JK is pushing 100K, and no cooling issues yet.

But the other day, after idling with the air on for about 10 mins, my ABS light
came on and the s.o.b. drove "like" the steering wheel was off center. . . no
power, acting like it was cutting out... ect.

So I got home, and I noticed the radiator fan was not running!
it ALWAYS runs when idling with air. The fuse is good,

so now where do I start?

· Registered
929 Posts
Is there a cel?
Have to diagnose open circuit or not and whether it is an open circuit on the high or low speed fan circuit? The cel will help for that.
Is jeep running hot?
My fan cycles on a/c but it is a 2008. You could have an a/c issue as well if you only notice the fan regarding a/c on or not.

Mine does this. I am on the trail or driving in the city and fan does not come on so it overheats. Pull over and let things cool off and then it works again. What was happening is it was going to the high speed cooling fan circuit but that failed. A cel came on identifying an open high speed circuit. When it cools down with hood open it would be cool enough to have fan running again on the low speed circuit. I can go 6 months to a year before this happens again. It could be breaks in the wire, a relay defect, or the ECM. I have not gone to the effort to find it yet. Low priority I guess. I reprogrammed the fan using superchips and will see how it works now.

Hope this helped. A lot of this info is out there already.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not run hot, fan cycles like it should, with A/C on or off.

Just finished a test drive and all is fine other than the ABS light just came on?

What is a "cel" ... And, Thanks for the info.

· Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am an idiot.

Checked the fuse ... put it back in ... fan works. took it for a test drive
and cooked the alternator and melted the boot. WTF!

Two days later... new alternator installed, but the lead wire is getting hot as hell.

I am going to replace the lead wire and fusible link, I discovered no power coming thru
that wire.

And this is where I stand. SO, Any ideas would be appreciated

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Pull the battery leads with the Jeep running. Does the alternator lead still get hot?

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Pull the battery leads with the Jeep running. Does the alternator lead still get hot?
That's been known to eat a few modules on today's electronics; I can't say I'd do that on my vehicle...

· Registered
1,754 Posts
B+ voltage is monitored. As soon as the B+ lead (or the B-, for that matter), is disconnected, the PCM shuts off the alternator field. I suspect this is to protect electronic modules. I recommend not testing to see if that protection works.

This is why the engine shuts off when the battery is disconnected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.