JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to quit smoking. I have tried cold turkey, dip, gum, candy and all that.

My question is does chantix work and how does it work? before I go to the doc to talk to him I would like to get some feed back from some people who have tried it.

Thanks guys/ gals

Any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I quit using Chantix but I will say that it should be followed to the t. I took it twice before and I thought I was good to go; had stopped smoking and all but then I went back to smoking because I never took the follow up dossings. See, I don't like taking meds!! Well, this last time I took it all the way through like you should, the follow up and all and I've been smoke free for a year and a few months now and I don't even get bothered or crave when around a smoker! So yes, if you are serious about quitting, it does work and yes, it's nice that you can still smoke in the beginning of taking it and before ya know it, you just don't want a cigarette anymore! It's crazy but it's how it works. You will hear some talk about crazy dreams and all but I had none of the possible side effects. You wouldn't know unless you try it so if some start up about it, listen but don't get all freaked out; if you have them you simply stop taking the chantix!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Agreed - Chantix is the only thing that has worked for me. Gave me some crazy dreams, and have heard of others having odd side affects. Didn't care - was the only thing that got me to stop.

Good for you for trying. Have a talk with your doc. Pay out of pocket if insurance doesn't cover it. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
X3 on the chantix.

Few years ago did chantix for 3 months and at 6 months went through some crap and started again.

Started it again this past December and at almost 3 1/2 months on 6 months program of taking it.

Get craving once in awhile but most days I don't even think about it and feel so much better with no side effects at all.

And good thing about smoking during first 2 weeks of taking it, aftertaste gets incredibly bad and you remember that nasty taste when you have a craving and it helps you ignore the craving altogether!!!

Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I took it and did not quit smoking but chantix. I had to quit it as I was on the brink of having constant panic attacks. I thought I would end up killing either myself or my wife. I would go batshit crazy over such trivial things and knew it was happening but had no control over it. If and when I quit it will have to be either with the patch, gum or cold turkey. Others swear by it and I know folks that it worked for them, but I could not take it. Very weird.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
This story doesn't have a happy ending...

About 2 years ago, a member of our local club tried it, I wasn't that close to him, but knew who he was. About a month in he became very withdrawn from all of his friends, wife included. Told them all about the crazy dreams, depression, HUGE mood swings etc.

He ended up killing himself, left behind a wife and two kids.

As I said, I didn't know him well, but everyone who did swears he became a different person after he started taking it. Know the warning signs, keep your friends close, and know when its time to either go back to the doctor or stop taking it all together.

I quit 10 years ago, I tried wellbutrin, the precursor to chantix, I didn't like it, felt like my heart was racing all the time, crazy dreams, and just on edge 24/7. I stopped taking it, and when I did quit, I did it cold turkey... took about 6- 7 months before i felt truly "smoke free" and I do still get urges every now and again, but after smoking for 18 years...

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I used it about 5 years ago. worked like a charm in that it completely eliminated the urges for me to smoke. the doc warned me about the side effects and holy shit was he right! i had some of the most bizzare dreams imaginable. i stuck with it for the duration as prescribed.

two years ago my grandmother (whom i was very close to) passed away and i decided it was gonna be drugs, booze or cigarettes for a "crutch" i chose cigs.

if i wasnt going thru my current medical crisis, id be back on chantix, but my neurologist suggests that may be a bad idea.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
never used chantix, I used everything you listed above cold turkey, sunflower seeds and gum worked for me. But good luck man definitely gotta quit those things

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm on welbutrin SR myself 1 week so far 150 mg a day then after 2 weeks go to 300 mg a day supposed to work in 2-3 weeks plus the pills make me happy :bounce:

Edit. No creepy side effects here yet

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I will sum this up quickly, took Chantix, had crazy dreams and was smoke free in 7 days, took it for another week after last cig. Started to get VERY agitated at the smallest shit. Decided that the well being of my wife and unborn son were more important then continuing the process. Stopped taking the chantix and never webt back to smoking. Be very aware of mood swings, definitely make sure you have someone to point out any significant changes.

Side note, although done with humor in mind there was a skit done on SNL last month... Had to do with Chantix.. Look it up, it is actually kinda factual... Funny and scary at the same time...

Sent from a Marine powered telecommunication device...

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
My girlfriend used chantix and it worked like a charm. She said that it made cigarettes taste like absolute crap.
Cigarettes don't need help to taste like crap.

Only two things you need to remember to quit smoking.

If you don't buy them, you can't smoke them.

If you "need" them, then you're weak. Don't let yourself be controlled by an inanimate object. Be a man and take control of your life.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I quit "cold turkey", going on 6 years now! Just have to be strong and every time you get the craving, look at a family member/loved one and ask yourself is it really worth hurting them when you DIE from smoking? Works for me! Not easy at all, but possible! Good luck, you can do it!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
For me it was breaking the habits , after dinner smoke , break time smoke we all know the routine I had to change them up I would do something else instead of having a smoke , 8 years later still no smoking

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nothing will work because you dont really want to quit. I know thats not what you want to hear. I quit 4 years ago cold turkey because i had willpower.

Now here's what your gonna do. Hire a kid to kick you in the balls everytime you lite up a cig. Guaranteed to work with mild suicidal thoughts nausea and some blood in urine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Nothing will work because you dont really want to quit. I know thats not what you want to hear. I quit 4 years ago cold turkey because i had willpower.

Now here's what your gonna do. Hire a kid to kick you in the balls everytime you lite up a cig. Guaranteed to work with mild suicidal thoughts nausea and some blood in urine.
I agree, it is a will power thing on the long run.. Also ball kickings will definitely help in a negative/positive way...

Sent from a Marine powered telecommunication device...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.