JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything that can be done to help with the noise at the header going down the highway? That seems to be the worse part. Seems fairly quiet until someone passes us.

Its on a 07 4door.

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have an 09 4dr and looked in the recall section and found a service buliten that stated you could replace the header with another one that was better built and stopped the noise issue. got mine changed and it was significantly better on the highway

edit: the noise is caused by the header flexing and allowing the center to rise above the windshield frame and catching the wind

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I have an 09 4dr and looked in the recall section and found a service buliten that stated you could replace the header with another one that was better built and stopped the noise issue. got mine changed and it was significantly better on the highway

edit: the noise is caused by the header flexing and allowing the center to rise above the windshield frame and catching the wind
yep

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47268

·
Administrator
8,731 Posts
Anything that can be done to help with the noise at the header going down the highway? That seems to be the worse part. Seems fairly quiet until someone passes us.

Its on a 07 4door.

Thanks
Put the top down.. :thefinger:

Anyway.. seems some are worse than others.. my original factory top on RubiKong (08) was decently quiet... the factory top on Project Double D's (2 Door 07) was so loud it was actually quieter to put the top down! Nothing helped it.. I finally replaced the top with a 2 door ORH top that looked a million times better and was quiet. Smurfette (10) is pretty quiet so far, but if it gets loud i won't even waste time to figure it out like I did DD's, I'll just replace it and be done.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
upgrade to the metal header bar.

or take that 100 and invest in a louder radio. just part of driving a jeep every day.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Get a hard top. :thefinger: :thankyou:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I had an '07 soft top on my '08 - bought the soft top used a week after I bought my '08 with hardtop. The front header bar worked great for about 3 years that I had it. The last year was horrible. I took it to the dealer to get the header bar replaced, but they wouldn't do it since the soft top wasn't part of my Jeep from factory. Told me I could buy the header bar for $200, so I just turned up the volume on the radio when on the highway.

Just recently (past 2 weeks or so), I had other issues with the soft top (torn seams, etc) and I installed my wife's Trektop since she has her hardtop on for the winter. Wow! What a difference. Wind noise is gone and much quieter since the metal frame doesn't clunk around over bumps.

Conclusions reached: Either have the dealership replace the header under warranty or TSB, buy a Trektop NX or turn up the volume on the radio.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes, I bought mine pre owned and the noise was literally unbearable. I bought a metal header from the dealer and replaced the OEM plastic one. Apparently they warp over time. Made a huge difference.

-Dan

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Let me see you take off the hard top on the trail or better yet put the top on while out and a storm moves in.:thankyou:

-Dan
I will eventually, when I flop on it... :thefinger:

Hah!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've a 2007 also, it was never as bad as you described but the wind noise was reduced after I bent the metal header mounting clips down a fraction, with a pair of pliers. If youy don't want to scratch the paint, wrap them with a cloth first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've a 2007 also, it was never as bad as you described but the wind noise was reduced after I bent the metal header mounting clips down a fraction, with a pair of pliers. If youy don't want to scratch the paint, wrap them with a cloth first.
Its not bad, there is just some wind noise when we get above 60-65mph. No rattling or anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Its not bad, there is just some wind noise when we get above 60-65mph. No rattling or anything.
Exactly, this trick reduces wind noise by tightening down the soft top.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So what your saying is, you bent the grooved section up, so the groove is higher up and will clamp down more?
Bent them down slightly, so the soft top is forced down when you clamp it, and it sits tighter on top of the windshield. It does reduce wind noise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts