JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some rock lights I am installing, 6 in all, they are roundeyes LEDs.

Questions:

1) Can I run all of these to one switch?

2) How do I tie them together. For example, eac light has a ground and hot wire, can I get a thicker (larger gauge) and tap all of these hot wires into that one (from the battery)?

3) Each light has an inline fuse, do I need a relay?

any input is great. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Relay is a good Idea

A relay is a good idea but not required. I have done both depending on the application.

I would think a 30 amp fused circuit would work.

Yes you can tie them all together or split them up if you don't want them all on at the same time.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I have some rock lights I am installing, 6 in all, they are roundeyes LEDs.

Questions:

1) Can I run all of these to one switch?
yes, if the switch is rated for the amps

2) How do I tie them together. For example, eac light has a ground and hot wire, can I get a thicker (larger gauge) and tap all of these hot wires into that one (from the battery)?
yes, just multiply the amp draw of the total being attached and it will tell you what gauge wire you need.

3) Each light has an inline fuse, do I need a relay?
if wiring them all off the same lead you could actually ditch the inline fuse for each and just common fuse them all. (once again multiply the amp draw)
I run relays when I do not feel like running thick wire into the cab or want to use a smaller (usually lower amp rated) switch

any input is great. :bounce:
for LED rock lights I HIGHLY doubt you will go past a 15A draw and I would run them all off one lead and no relay.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Below is what I am running, says it draws 350 miliamps (each one). I was just going to run the Daystar switch (20 amp) to run these. So if I tie them altogether, run a fuse on the lead, wire the lead to the switch and then the switch to the battery, I should be good? Of course I will have the ground as well.

LED Rock Light Kit includes 6 Ultimate LED's of any one color complete with 7 foot of 16 gauge wiring harness, fuse and mounting screws for each of the 6 LED's.

The world's brightest 1 watt Luxeon LED in a compact 12V DC platform.
Low amp draw and a light weight construction gives this super bright LED many areas of utilization as a functional light source and a crowd pleaser!
The applications for these LED's are endless. Use them to light your interior, your wheel wells, under the hood, under your rig or anywhere you need low voltage lighting.

- Aluminum LED bracket measures 1" wide by 4.250" long and .375" high
- 180 degrees of light dispersion comes from this Luxeon LED
- Draws only 350 milliamps of 12V DC power- 100% waterproof and virtually indestructible
- Illuminate an area approximately 6 feet by 6 feet squared
- A 50,000 hour life span should outlast your vehicle

After extensive testing installed as rock lights on a 4x4 vehicle, we were able to leave 8 of these LED's on overnight and it started in the morning!
Ground effects lighting for visual assistance!

Made in the USA.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pretty much already answered, but just to recap:

6 x 350 mA = 2.1 amps

Your switch can easily handle that with no relay. Just wire all the power leads in parallel, pull to the switch, then pull from the switch to your +12v source. Put the fuse (3A would be good and should be easy to find close to the +12v source - ideally within 18" for maximum protection in case of a short.

You can ground each light individually to the frame. No need to tie them all to a single wire.

16 ga. wire is plenty.

Any other questions?

Heck, I see you're in CA. If you aren't comfortable with electrical work and you're local I could probalby pop by and give you a hand. It'll take longer to mount the lights than to do the wiring. I'm in NorCal - PM me if you want a hand.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the inpuit guys! I have the lights mounted and the majority of the wire ran. I test them last night, just tapping the battery and everything looks good. I have all of the wires tied in at one point, then to the switch, the switch to the 12v source and a fuse mounted on the wire going to the battery 12V source. Sound good?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I relay it and use a manual resetting breaker.
The only reason is that I've seen so many cheap-o switches fail lately.
Pfffffft. Out go the lights. And the switch seems to be the last thing you check when you're trouble-shooting.
And the breaker because of the harsh underside environment. They're cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts