JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am one of those people that don't like to get dirty, well until I'm dirty then I wallow in it.

But when it comes to changing oil I never understood why you had to have oil shooting all over the place. Particularly on the JK where the oil plug doesn't aim down.

Oh and I added a skid plate making access to the drain plug interesting to say the least and that the oil would normally shoot off onto the top of the skid plate and be dripping old oil forever.

So me be inherently lazy and not liking to be looking like an oil tycoon on his first hit, I bought this. I got the one with a nipple and added a length of rubber hose. Now the hose sits on top of my skid plate and is out of the way until I need to change my oil. I then pull the hose off the plate and out and down the drain hole in the plate and flip the lever with my hand, and voila, I have drained my oil, even freshly driven really hot oil, without so much as a drop of spill or a burn blister on my finger.

Now just to find a clever way to pull the oil filter. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
449 Posts
What a coincidence. I just put mine on yesterday. I found out the hard way not to drive the jeep up on ramps to change the oil with the same engine/trans skid, what a mess in the driveway. Won't have to worry about that again.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Funny, I put off changing my oil yesterday,:D just called "Autozone" & they carry them. I did fab a redneck oil blocker out of plastic that clipped onto the "Skidrow Eng Skid".(it'll go into the trash) I'll pick one up.
Thx Michael...

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, your buds at SkidRow should sell them with the skid plate along with a foot of hose. ;) Would make for a nice "complete" solution. :bounce:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Michael, when you put yours on where did the lever part end up? I assumed that this would be the "top" of it but mine is almost at the bottom. I guess it's really not an issue with the skid plate but I didn't want to over tighten it and break it off.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, mine is with the lever to the top of the valve. And you are also right on the skid plate protecting this area so it probably doesn't matter that much. ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Jim, your buds at SkidRow should sell them with the skid plate along with a foot of hose. ;) Would make for a nice "complete" solution. :bounce:
Don't worry, after my 1st oil change with the Skid on I looked like I worked on an oil rig. Then I worked for awhile trying to get all the oil off the top of the Skid, so I mentioned it to "Eric", and said, do you want a bigger hole & weaker Skid or do you want to deal with a little oil.(can't argue with the "Engineer"). I'll mention the hose thing.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Get any discounts with them Marine?? :)
No I don't, sorry..all their products are sold by Quadratec, 4Wheel Drive Hardware, etc,etc. They actually don't sell to much in house. Maybe some kind of group buy on something I woluld definitely talk to them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for this item exactly for awhile now. I had heard of such a product and couldn't find it till now. I can't wait till there's no more mess to clean up. I was using the old cardboard but figured I'd give this a try. I hope it works as well as advertised.:beer:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just bought one of these last week but havent put it on yet. Mine is different its a fram sure drain. It is shorter so I wont worry about it getting knocked around and it has a metal cap that covers it up so you dont get dirt in there. It also comes with a hose that screws onto the plug that has a valve inside so it only releases the oil when the hose is attached. Pretty cool idea as long as it dosent leek. I just hate how far the jk shoots oil because of the small deep pan.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts