JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first upgrade I do when I land a job is get a winch. I am looking at the Warn PowerPlant HP 'cuz it includes an air compressor, freeing up valuable space in the trunk. My concern is the pix I see show the winch covering most of the grille opening.

Questions:

1. Anyone with the Warn PowerPlant winch? Are you happy with it? Any overheating or other issues? Does the compressor work well?

2. Will most offroad bumpers hold this winch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have the lod stubby bumper and it is recessed far enough that the powerplant sits right down and has plenty of air flow. No problems here at all. Oh and the air pump works great! I have to fill alot of other guys tires just becouse they know I have that winch. Pretty fast IMHO for what it is.:beer:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have no regrets at all about buying the Powerplant... I have used the Compressor probably 50 times for me and my friends with no issues, Except of the time to air up. It's a little slow, But worth it.

I have used the winch 5 times, And it works great! I am ready to switch out to the synthetic line i bought last year as i have abused the steel line on the rocks ect.

Mine is currently mounted inside the Shrockworks Midwith and fits perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
No regrets here, also I put a 2 1/2 lbs kilby tank under the jeep for more air, now I can run air tools with no worries.:beer:

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, everyone. Sounds like a happy bunch!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Questions:

1. Anyone with the Warn PowerPlant winch? Are you happy with it? Any overheating or other issues? Does the compressor work well?

2. Will most offroad bumpers hold this winch?

Thanks!
Regarding blocking the front grill - you need a front bumper that drops the winch down enough to prevent this from happening.

1. Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

2. Yes and no. My Smittybilt XRC front had to have a small quarter sized notch cut it in for it to fit.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Everyone I know likes theirs. Adding a tank as Lika suggested will add some options for you. Woods is putting out a nice bracket to mount a viair 2 gallon tank between the radiator and engine that would work great for those with a power plant.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding blocking the front grill - you need a front bumper that drops the winch down enough to prevent this from happening.

1. Yes. Yes. No. Yes.

2. Yes and no. My Smittybilt XRC front had to have a small quarter sized notch cut it in for it to fit.
Heya J! Didn't realize you had a PP winch when we went to Big Bear. It does keep a low profile! :beer:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Yep, a recessed bumper is the key. I also have not heard of anyone overheating w/o one but a recessed bumper keeps it tucked down lower for sure. Mine drops it far enough to where I have zero worries. I did, whole the front end was apart, have a tranny cooler installed however at the same time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i love mine,

its sitting as low as possible on my shrockworks stubby

and doesn't block the grille at all, love the winch and the compress does just fine to air up tires, i am very happy with it

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have had the power plant since 2007 and never had a over heating issue do to the power plant. Also the air compressor is awesome, airs up a 37" tire from 10lbs to 35lbs in 3 1/2 minutes.

IMG01451-20091002-1710.jpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Got the Power Plant on the Warn bumpers. Have had no overheating problems. Bought the 07 Rubi in Phoenix in July (with the PW) and drove it hard to Northern WY, no overheating problems. I do wish it sat lower in the bumper for looks. I've used the Air Comp several times and like it, seems fast. Only used the winch a couple of times, works well. No complaints. I did add Benchmark Designs dual battery kit just to make sure the Power Plant didn't strand me somewhere, that would be ironic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Funny, I just posted on another forum about the powerplant. I LOVE MINE!!!! Air's up the tires quick, will run air tools with a little patience, and best of all its a fully funtional winch. Mine came in real handy during Hurricane Ike cleanup, pulled debris from in front of my beach house with the winch, "realigned" the front deck with the winch, and used an air nailer all day reattaching portions of my roof. Couldn't have done without it. It will be the best $1300 you spend. I wouldn't worry about the HD version though, 9000lbs is plenty for a JK.

Watch out, without significant mods it will not fit into the AEV bumper. I managed to make it work, here is the writeup if you are interested. The meat starts near the end of the first page

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/powerplant-aev-bumper-726755/

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got suprised with the HD (12K) powerplant for xmas from my father in law. It's sitting on my LOD midwidth. No overheating issues between the powerplant and my transcooler.

If I didn't get this for x-mas I would have gotten a 9.5TI + a ARB compressor (or similar). The only disadvantage I can see is that becuase you manully have to switch the PP from winch to air, or visa versa, you cannot run both in tandem. But more so in-cab controls for this set up are trickier and you still have to switch over. I could envision being on the trail with the winch engaged but wanting to fill your extra tank as you reach the staging area. Well you can't easily flip the compressor on, you have to get out and switch over....

But so far it works great and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have PowerPlant in a Rugged Ridge bumper. It is recessed but not as much as some others I've seen. I really like it. I wasn't sure about getting it, but it has really been great. I live in FL and have no problems with overheating in mid 90's weather.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just think that having seperate systems is more beneficialas if one brakes you do not have to replace the whole thing IMO
Yeah my friend with the separate air compressor said the same thing, on the day we went to the beach and he had left it behind. He had been giving me a lot grief about that. I told him to start blowing. :D

Like anything it is a trade off. Just like I only take one winch and not a hi lift or manual come-along also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts