JKOwners Forum banner

Questions for ppl with lil jeepers

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Akirk18 
#1 ·
Do you take the doors off with the lil jeeper in the back? I put my son in the middle in his carseat. He is 5 and a pretty good size 5. He loves the doors off and stays in his seat but I was just wondering if other ppl do the same. Also are you worried about some one taking the car seat?

Thanks

John

#2 ·
I'm in a small town, so I don't worry about people taking shit. If they do take the car seats, hopefully they are being good parents and having their kids ride in them. Valuable rest in the center console. When i do have the top off and half doors on, I don't leave anything I can't live without.

I can't speaks for JKU with the doors off. I have a 2 door. I do however have half doors. So when my daughter does ride up front in a booster he is more secure and protected. The half doors are also peace and mind for the wife.

#3 ·
Heres my take on it, 2 door around town? sure. 4 door? not so sure.
I hate using this saying because its so cliche but look at all the lack of safety features a lot of you older jeepers had growing up and were fine. Granted there seems to be more accidents as years go on and more idiots on the roads but where do you draw the line? Does that mean nobody should put little kids in early 2000's econoboxes because of how unsafe they are? While we're at it, we should never drive at highway speeds with little kids in the vehicle as well since its so dangerous.
While we shouldn't throw caution to the wind and obviously we should do everything we can to protect our children, you can only do so much. With all the freaky, random ways people have died, you can't prevent everything. Let the kid experience some fun. Just don't be a jack*** about it.

#6 ·
I have a 4 door and ride with top and doors off all summer and fall. My 5 year old has a Recaro high back booster seat he rides in with seatbelt on of course. No issues. My 3 year old is still rock in' a cheap car seat (Safety 1st from Target) The nicer ones don't fit well. They both love it with doors off.

#7 ·
Pretty sure the car seat in the middle is not legal anyway due to all of the "latch" requirements. I have a big 5 year old as well and rear doors stay on for the road. He is in a booster and seat belted in. My soon to be 3 year old is going to the same set up soon as he is a monster and does not fit in a car seat anymore. I'm looking into 4 point harnesses for the trails. I have a full cage and harness bars. At that point I'll feel comfortable without the doors.

#9 ·
I drive a YJ now so it's not an issue but I owned a JKU when my son was 4 until he was 6. I never took the back doors off but would take the top and front door off. He sat in a booster seat and I always worried about him back there. I'm sure he would be fine but I could never live with myself if we would have t-boned and door would have prevented him from rolling out or crash debris from hitting him. I'm not judging anyone who feels differently just giving you my point of view.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
We put ours car seat in the middle when the doors are off, just for a little extra safety (JKU); but even at that, it's only for short trips around town or slow/scenic trail rides. She loves riding in the jeep period, but especially when it's in summer mode.

We plan to add half doors this year

#11 ·
Do you take the doors off with the lil jeeper in the back? I put my son in the middle in his carseat. He is 5 and a pretty good size 5. He loves the doors off and stays in his seat but I was just wondering if other ppl do the same. Also are you worried about some one taking the car seat?

Thanks

John

JKU
Have 5 and 8 yo.. have taken their doors off for short trips.. couple miles at most.. but I'm in congested suburb of D.C. That's all they get here. Anything longer they stay on til they're older. My big concern is fallin asleep and lolling out around a corner. Would go for longer in more rural area, but those are not as frequent as they should be. Tube doors seem fair compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I run without doors regularly. My kids are 13, 9, 8, 3, and 1. I typically put the 1 year old in the middle, but the rest like being by the side without the doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.