JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll I found this site this morning and have some questions. First off my I was wondering how you all like your jeeps and what if any problems have you had with them. A few other things I was wondering about was fuel economy and the reliability of the 3.8 and the 6 speed. The last question I have is do any of you guys or gals have the Electronic Swaybar disconnect and have you had any problems with it. I heard that mud can be an issue with it but have heard as long as you clean it when you are done wheeling your ok? I also heard that the ESD works with lifts? I hope to get mine either by early spring to mid summer next year. I just started a new job so I will have to wait awhile.

Here is the run down of what mine will be equipped with,

2008 WRANGLER X 2-DOOR 4X4 S Pkg. $21,500

Color $695

Freedom Top(TM) 3-Piece Modular Hard Top - Black $695
Dk Slate Gray/Medium Slate Gray $0
Rescue Green Metallic Clear Coat $0

Power $50

3.73 Axle Ratio $50
6-Speed Manual Transmission Incl.
Command-Trac® Shift-on-the-Fly 4WD System Incl.
Next Generation Dana 30 Solid Front Axle Incl.
Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle Incl.
3.8-Liter V6 SMPI Engine Incl.

Options $1,895

Tru-Lok® Electronic Locking Rear Differential $750
Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect $750
368W 7-Speaker Infinity® Sound Sys Incl Subwoofer $395
Cloth Seats with Adjustable Head Restraints Incl.
Monotone Paint Incl.
Front Floor Mats Incl.
Full-Length Floor Console Incl.
Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat Incl.
Sunrider® Soft Top Incl.
Air Conditioning Incl.
Temperature and Compass Gauge Incl.
Speed Control Incl.
AM/FM Stereo Radio w/In-Dash CD Plyr/MP3 Capability Incl.
Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks Incl.
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel Incl.
Goodyear Brand Tires Incl.
P255/75R17 OWL On-/Off-Road Tires Incl.
17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels Incl.

Destination $660

Base MSRP*: $24,800
Total Discount†: - $0
Net Price: $24,800
Special Interest Rate:
Est. Mo. Purchase Payment‡:
Est. Mo. Lease Payment†:
Est. Mo. Plus Payment†:

I was on another site last night and all they would say is why aren't you getting the rubicon and quite frankly I just don't think I can afford it and there are only a few differences. My dad has an 05 Wrangler Unlimited that is not a rubicon and we do just fine with it. He has also had an 04 and a 98 Jeep and has had no problems getting around. We seriously off road and I know that the ruby is a little more set up but I feel as though the lower cost is enough that I can add a front locker and a couple of skid plates and bigger tires myself for less. I have worked alot on my dads Jeeps and know my way around trailing. Let me know any input you guys have. What mods have worked for you and what problems have come up.

Thanks guys and gals, Zach

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want and are getting it. With the locking rear diff and sway bar disco, you have a pretty good package right out of the box. How big are you planning on going with it? If you don't plan on throwing mondo tires, and just doing some trail running on normal trails you won't really need to add much to it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Hey Ya'll I found this site this morning and have some questions. First off my I was wondering how you all like your jeeps and what if any problems have you had with them. A few other things I was wondering about was fuel economy and the reliability of the 3.8 and the 6 speed. The last question I have is do any of you guys or gals have the Electronic Swaybar disconnect and have you had any problems with it. I heard that mud can be an issue with it but have heard as long as you clean it when you are done wheeling your ok? I also heard that the ESD works with lifts? I hope to get mine either by early spring to mid summer next year. I just started a new job so I will have to wait awhile.

Here is the run down of what mine will be equipped with,

2008 WRANGLER X 2-DOOR 4X4 S Pkg. $21,500

Color $695

Freedom Top(TM) 3-Piece Modular Hard Top - Black $695
Dk Slate Gray/Medium Slate Gray $0
Rescue Green Metallic Clear Coat $0

Power $50

3.73 Axle Ratio $50
6-Speed Manual Transmission Incl.
Command-Trac® Shift-on-the-Fly 4WD System Incl.
Next Generation Dana 30 Solid Front Axle Incl.
Next Generation Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle Incl.
3.8-Liter V6 SMPI Engine Incl.

Options $1,895

Tru-Lok® Electronic Locking Rear Differential $750
Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect $750
368W 7-Speaker Infinity® Sound Sys Incl Subwoofer $395
Cloth Seats with Adjustable Head Restraints Incl.
Monotone Paint Incl.
Front Floor Mats Incl.
Full-Length Floor Console Incl.
Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat Incl.
Sunrider® Soft Top Incl.
Air Conditioning Incl.
Temperature and Compass Gauge Incl.
Speed Control Incl.
AM/FM Stereo Radio w/In-Dash CD Plyr/MP3 Capability Incl.
Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks Incl.
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel Incl.
Goodyear Brand Tires Incl.
P255/75R17 OWL On-/Off-Road Tires Incl.
17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels Incl.

Destination $660

Base MSRP*: $24,800
Total Discount†: - $0
Net Price: $24,800
Special Interest Rate:
Est. Mo. Purchase Payment‡:
Est. Mo. Lease Payment†:
Est. Mo. Plus Payment†:

I was on another site last night and all they would say is why aren't you getting the rubicon and quite frankly I just don't think I can afford it and there are only a few differences. My dad has an 05 Wrangler Unlimited that is not a rubicon and we do just fine with it. He has also had an 04 and a 98 Jeep and has had no problems getting around. We seriously off road and I know that the ruby is a little more set up but I feel as though the lower cost is enough that I can add a front locker and a couple of skid plates and bigger tires myself for less. I have worked alot on my dads Jeeps and know my way around trailing. Let me know any input you guys have. What mods have worked for you and what problems have come up.

Thanks guys and gals, Zach
What no discount??? Its a X not a Rubicon???

Jason

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think you will be very happy with what you have listed there, other than the upgraded sound system and 3.73's vs. 4.10's it is just like mine. I get 16-18 mpg depending how heavy my foot is, I do have a Safari Rack on mine and noticed a .5 to 1 mpg loss after I added it so you might do a little better than me. I have been happy with the performance of the 3.8 and haven't had any problems (8500 miles so far). I have a 2" lift and have not had any problem with the swaybar disconnect, if you go larger than 2" just make sure you add longer swaybars so they don't fold over the wrong way. I have been extremely happy with the X and so far I have not had any problems keeping up with the Rubicons I've been wheeling with.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks good. Regarding the axle ratio though if 4.10 is an option I would strongly consider it. I have a Rubicon with a 6 speed, 35" tires, and 4.10s. Even at that I'm considering regearing to 4.88s or even 5.13s. I know some people claim better milage with the higher gears but I'm not convinced. When the gearing is too tall you have to have your foot deeper in the throttle to make up for the power loss. Proper gearing decreases the workload of the engine and I believe can more than make up for the higher RPM. And it's MUCH more drivable. Either way though your gonna have a blast with it. Cheers ! :beer:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks good. Regarding the axle ratio though if 4.10 is an option I would strongly consider it. I have a Rubicon with a 6 speed, 35" tires, and 4.10s. Even at that I'm considering regearing to 4.88s or even 5.13s. I know some people claim better milage with the higher gears but I'm not convinced. When the gearing is too tall you have to have your foot deeper in the throttle to make up for the power loss. Proper gearing decreases the workload of the engine and I believe can more than make up for the higher RPM. And it's MUCH more drivable. Either way though your gonna have a blast with it. Cheers ! :beer:
They took the 4.10 ratio out of the line-up for 08's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the info and welcome. Jeepin Dad your jeep is almost like what I am wanting out of mine. Thats great to know about the ESD because I have heard that they have had problems after mudding. For myself I don't see a need in a lift over 4" (I am not saying its bad) but for me I have been wheeling with my dad since I was like 7 - 8 and I have about 10 years of wheeling experience in all types of terrains except mountains and feel that it would serve me well. I am very knowledgeable about Jeeps (dads had a 70's model jeep (not sure of the year), a 98 TJ SE 4 cyl (couldn't hardly get it above 55 on the hwy unless we went down a hill) but would climb like crazy (4.10 gear equipped), an 04 w/ 4.0 5 speed (I had a chance to buy it from him had only 7,500 miles on it but instead bought a 99 POS Blazer that I am now kicking myself for I could have had an awesome jeep by now :bawling: ) and now an 05 Unlimited auto (which btw he hates and hes considering a 5 or 6 speed conversion). I have not changed tires and rims on the JK but thats about it. My friend has one that we are going to start majorly working on this upcoming winter. I have already learned alot from you guys just reading other threads.

Like I said though I think I will be happy with this one (eventhough its not a rubicon but hey it a jeep). I also have been reading alot about the new jeeps and pick up every new mag that has jeep related material in it. Any time I see an thread that I can contribute to I will do my best to help.

Oh, I am thinking of a 2.5" lift and 33". I do a lot of off road that involves rutted up trails and tons of mud. My dads 05 has 31 x 10.50 and it does great. Who knows I might go crazy with it. It will really depend on what I read on here, I have already got a ton of ideas brewing (this is going to get expensive fast). I learned along time ago that its more about drivers skill, using your head and tinking before doing than how big and bad the rig is. I have seen small 4 cylinder rigs with little lift do more that the guy with 20 grand in his rig. I know that modding and making it bigger and stronger helps. Thats why little by little it will get to the point of being the rig of my dreams.

Any other input is greatly appreciated, Zach

·
Registered
475 Posts
now that the jk's have been out for a while, i don't see why you shouldn't find a dealer willing to deal a little and get you closer to invoice price. i got my rubi for 500 over invoice in august. shop around. btw, an X with the locker is a great platform to start with and far cheaper than a rubi.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi
I put 4.88s in mine with 35s I wish I went to 5.13. If I could do it agian I would. $$$$$
JEEP Just empty every pocket lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts