JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several articles about this mod. I have the wiring diagram from the Trail Duty website. I plan on doing a negative switch with a relay.

1. From what I can tell I only need one wire from the locker relay to my relay then to my switch???

2. Do I just tap into my factory harness or do I cut it and wire it up straight to the relay?

Any ideas or opinions or links to some other write ups or pictures are appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Yes and yes. The relay will need four wires, but only one goes to the factory locker relay. I just used a scotch connector and tapped into the factory wiring at the relay. You can struggle to do it with the battery in place, but it's a whole lot easier just to remove the battery.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
So you can have an indicator light on the switch. If you don't want an indicator light on the switch, then you are right you don't need a relay, just switch ground to the factory relay and you are good to go.
I believe the indicator light will blink doing as I suggested.

·
Registered
343 Posts
yes the indicator will blink on the dash like that but if you want indication on your switch also you need to use a relay, thats all.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Yes it will when the locker is engaged, but some people, me included, like a big bright idiot light when the locker circuit is on. I rarely look at the dash, but I do look at the locker switches.

Both ways will work just fine, just personal preference whether you have an indicator light or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's. I want the idiot lights, thats why I was doing the relay. I over thought it,lol.

Greg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Will it matter if I purchase a switch w/safety that has 3 prongs on it.
I know using the negative relay uses only 2. Which 2 prongs would I use?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts