JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a slight/ faint rattling noise that seems to be coming from the pass side wheel. I've pulled and inspected the brakes/ calipers/ pads/ rotors/ axle shafts/ stub shafts/ etc... on both sides and no sign of anything causing the noise.

It's not a heat-shield type rattle. Seems to be related to rotation of wheels... slow speed/ windows open you can hear it... higher speed not so much. Doesn't seem to be related to suspension/ components... I've thoroughly inspected the suspension as well. Going over bumps/ rocks/ potholes doesn't seem to cause the noise either.

When I had the front end jacked up, I did the obligatory wheel-shake test to see if I could feel any play in the hub bearings but I couldn't feel anything loose. It is possible that I wasn't able to replicate any shake since the 37's were a little hard to handle and because I didn't use a 2x4 or pipe underneath as a fulcrum.

So... if the hub bearings are going bad, can they make noise even though there may not be any play?

Anyone hear any faint [rotational] rattling-type noise occurring along with a bad hub bearing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I head similar noises and replaced my unit bearings even though they had no play. Turns out in my case it was the front driveshaft making the noise.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't think it's a drive-shaft... mainly b/c I keep my shafts maintained pretty well, noise coming from front wheel area ( seemingly), and not that type of noise. I may dbl-check 'em but I'm really curious to hear from those that have had bad bearings and if they made any noise. Thank you again... reply much appreciated.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In my case it was the centering ball on the DC joint of the front driveshaft. The flat needle Zerk you can't get to with the shaft installed. I was lubing all the zerks but didn't know that one was even there you have to pull the shaft to grease that one. There is a thread I started about it in modified.

Chasing noises the worst, most challenging part of jeeping! Hope you find out what's going on.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
X2 on the centering ball.

I had a similiar squeak when on the road. A rotational thump in 4 low.

pulled the axle end of the front DS and strapped it up and drove it...squeak gone. Rebuilt the centering ball, all good.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've had a brake pad retaining clip fail that made similar noises as the loose pads wiggled and rattled around a bit.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I genuinely appreciate the feedback. All brake parts check out fine... completely pulled apart and inspected thoroughly. Really don't think it's drive-shaft related either.

The type of noise is I guess comparable to having a handful of very very small gravel trapped inside a center cap on the wheel. I don't run center caps so that's not it... but again... seems to be a sound that coincides with the rotation of the wheels and again... hearing it coming from passenger side front wheel area ( I think).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I genuinely appreciate the feedback. All brake parts check out fine... completely pulled apart and inspected thoroughly. Really don't think it's drive-shaft related either.

The type of noise is I guess comparable to having a handful of very very small gravel trapped inside a center cap on the wheel. I don't run center caps so that's not it... but again... seems to be a sound that coincides with the rotation of the wheels and again... hearing it coming from passenger side front wheel area ( I think).
Does the sound change when turning right and left?

To answer your original question, yes, the bearing cam make noise and still feel OK when trying to wiggle the wheel/tire.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the sound change when turning right and left?

To answer your original question, yes, the bearing cam make noise and still feel OK when trying to wiggle the wheel/tire.
Nothing about the noise changes. It is intermittent and turning drive or pass side does not seem to effect the frequency, pitch, tone, sound, etc. I do hear it mainly at slower speeds but that could certainly be related to other variables... mainly the sound of the tires drowning out any other faint noises.

I really appreciate your input here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
generally a bad wheel bearing will make a low tone "howling" noise. with aggressive tread tires sometimes they can be hard to hear in the early stages of failure, until they develop full on play. with a set of 37"s any play would be magnified when pulling/pushing the tire at the 12 and 6 oclock position (larger tire diameter=more leverage.) could also double check your axle u joints for play, as they turn with the tire unless your running an aftermarket spindle set up with lock out/in hubs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had a couple bearing assemblies make noise without having any play. Once i removed them, i could feel the roughness in the bearings.

I originally thought it was my tires, but the noise still persisted with new tires.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a hub assembly start to go , before it growls, if you have a flat spot on one or two of the bearings inside the track you may here a metal on metal clicking.
Easy way to check this, pull the tire, rotor, and calipers , and spin the hub by hand. If its insanely easy to spin, or you have a slight click on occasion, you probably caught it ahead of it actually going bad.

Good luck
Jason LaGross

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think I understand the sound that you're hearing....mine does something similar, but only when it's cold, and ONLY under load.... if I coast, noise isn't there, but if I'm on the gas, there's a heat shield like rattle coming from underneath, seemingly drivers side. Everything checks out ok. But, I haven't checked the driveshaft... so this thread has helped someone. :D.

I'll have to crawl under there and check that shaft, probably when it's not so damn cold.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I think I understand the sound that you're hearing....mine does something similar, but only when it's cold, and ONLY under load.... if I coast, noise isn't there, but if I'm on the gas, there's a heat shield like rattle coming from underneath, seemingly drivers side. Everything checks out ok. But, I haven't checked the driveshaft... so this thread has helped someone. :D.

I'll have to crawl under there and check that shaft, probably when it's not so damn cold.

Sounds like pre detonation or knock. Mine does it when cold if hard on the Throttle. Techron helps every few fill ups.

·
I Put the FU in FUN
4,254 Posts
Nothing about the noise changes. It is intermittent and turning drive or pass side does not seem to effect the frequency, pitch, tone, sound, etc. I do hear it mainly at slower speeds but that could certainly be related to other variables... mainly the sound of the tires drowning out any other faint noises.

I really appreciate your input here.
My passenger side wheel bearing made this noise. swapped it. no noise.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sounds like pre detonation or knock. Mine does it when cold if hard on the Throttle. Techron helps every few fill ups.
Which is strange because I use supreme (91 octane) fuel religiously. Although winter fuel might not help. It sounds like a hamster ball half full of marbles. And mine seems to be when it's cold and I'm on the fuel at all. It's odd.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I recently had a bad unit bearing and a bad centering ball.

Shaking the wheel didn't reveal the unit bearing was bad. Then the speed sensor went wacko in that position. When I pulled the wheel to replace the speed sensor I could see play in the hub. So now I've got a new hub installed and a spare speed sensor.

Then heading up the driveway in the morning I heard a squeak from the other front tire. Only low speed. Figured the other unit bearing needed to be replaced, but after getting the bearing and pulling the tire, the existing one was fine. Jacked both front wheels off the ground and starting spinning things, discovered it was coming from the double cardan joint. Dropped the front drive shaft and no more squeak.

Now I have a spare unit bearing complete with speed sensor plus another spare speed sensor, and a 1310 rebuild kit that will hopefully get done tomorrow.

BTW, Adams Driveshaft had the best price on rebuild kits. I never trust u-joints for use on highway after taking them out. New ones aren't that expensive and the old ones are good for trail spares if they aren't too beat.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Which is strange because I use supreme (91 octane) fuel religiously. Although winter fuel might not help. It sounds like a hamster ball half full of marbles. And mine seems to be when it's cold and I'm on the fuel at all. It's odd.

Yep. Every day for the first few miles. Even if I warm the jeep up for 10-15 minutes.
I'm running 93 but tuned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts