JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I were trying to move to the Tampa area about a year ago. We started to plan last year but my wife got pregnant so we put everything on hold. Now that my son is here it is time to plan again. Does anyone know of any companies in the Tampa area that are hiring Systems Engineer/Network Administror type positions? I will be searching the normal job sites but I wanted to get insight from those who live in the area. Thanks for any insight you can offer. :beer:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Engineering is a tough field down here. My friend has been looking for a chemical engineering position for over a year. Try Indeed.com and other job search engines. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Jobs are really bad down here. I'd recommend finding a job first, then moving

·
Registered
821 Posts
The company that deposits a check every month for me (Eaton) has this position open in Sarasota...

Function: Engineering
Division: Electrical Sensing & Controls Division
Internal HRMS Job Title: Lead Prod Engrg
External Job Title: System Engineer- Sarasota, FL
Job Description: Eaton Aerospace located in Sarasota, Florida has an immediate opening for a System Engineer. The successful candidate will:
Report to the Systems and Electrical Engineering Manager in Grand Rapids MI. Incumbent will lead electronic systems development of systems and sub-systems, manage requirements and compliance, develop designs, perform modeling & analysis, provided testing and verification oversight for power distribution products at the Sarasota FL facility within the ES&C division.
The essential functions of the position are:
Provide leadership for the development of electronic systems.
Work directly with customers, project engineers, program management, and other product team members to develop, allocate, analyze and verify requirements.
Perform architecture, design, analysis and modeling to ensure compliance of all functional performance and environmental requirements.
Manage and control requirements using a requirements management tool such as DOORS.
Model and analyze architectures and designs using tools such as MATLAB/SIMULINK.
Develop sub-system specifications, verification specifications and test equipment specifications.
Develop system development standards
Research, recommend, innovate new technology
Lead small development teams of up to 4 people
Work with mechanical, electrical, software, firmware (FPGA), test and specialty engineers to develop products
Manage assigned project to schedule and budget
Participate in the development of proposals
Provide electronic systems engineering support to production problem resolution
Basic Qualifications (Including Educational Requirements) BSEE required, MSEE preferred with minimum 7 years experience. Qualifications in related technical disciplines such as physics, systems engineering, mechanical engineer etc will also be considered.

The ideal candidate will have hands-on domain expertise in
a/ 28 Vdc and 115 Vac 3 phase power switching using electronic and electromechanical components,
b/ current and voltage monitoring circuits,
c/ software or firmware (FPGA) based system development.

The ideal candidate will have hands-on domain expertise in at least 2 of the following:
a/ Controls engineering, system analysis and modeling
b/ Firmware (FPGA) engineering
c/ Software engineering, preferably to DO-178B
d/ General electronics design and development
e/ Power electronics design
f/ Power supply design
g/ Electronics packaging

City: Sarasota
State: Florida
Experience Level: 7-10 years
Travel Required: Up to 10 percent
Relocation benefit provided?: Yes (US/PR Only)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I miscommunicated. I mean Systems Engineer like Network Administrator, not like engineering. I apologize for the confusion.

I can't wait for us to get down there and wheel with you guys. :beer: My wife can find a job easy as she is in the mental health field. It's a little harder for me working in I.T. as a computer guy.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I can't wait for us to get down there and wheel with you guys. :beer:
If you like wheeling on the rocks, make sure you get your fill at RC before coming down here. There's very few rock places to wheel at. If you like mud though, you'll be in heaven down here. Hope it works out for you

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the job situation in the Tampa area, but there's lots of Aerospace stuff around these parts (East Coast). I do network design/ engineering work for a LARGE govt contractor based in Melbourne. If you're an EE or CCNA certified, you should have plenty of opportunities. For regular systems admin-type stuff, though, it might be a little more challenging.

P.S. remember, a TON of engineers & specialized workers just got laid off from the space center due to the retirement of the Shuttle program.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Don't forget Disney and Universal they are always looking

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone I appreciate the heads up. I'm looking and applying. :bounce: Hopefully something will work out soon. My wife and hate Maryland with a passion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts