JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock LCA mounts hang below the axle a bit, which makes them vulnerable to catching rocks. I realize I can get skids for them, but I was thinking... is there a way to just move them higher so they're out of the way? It seems like it should be possible to fabricate LCA brackets that go directly behind the axle tube so they don't protrude from the bottom and catch things.

This would also move the LCAs up a little higher, and angle them so that they sit closer to parallel with the ground... maybe eliminating the need for control arm drop brackets.

I did a quick Google search on this and I found some people who have done it before on other vehicles. Has anyone tried this with a JK? Is there any reason it wouldn't work?

· Registered
11,420 Posts
That will pretty much throw your suspension kinematics out the window. Without really playing with numbers, arm lengths and pickup points...I wouldn't recommend it.

· Registered
632 Posts
Changing the vertical separation at the axle and doing nothing with the frame side can cause issues, depending on the amount you move them up. When building a custom suspension (all stock mounts gone), mounting the lower mounts up high on the tube is SOP. All of my lower mounts are completely above the axle tube, arms are nearly flat, and separation is correct--but it's a custom suspension.

What's the factory vertical separation at the axle and frame? How much higher are you planning on moving them up?

· Registered
44 Posts
Changing the vertical separation at the axle and doing nothing with the frame side can cause issues, depending on the amount you move them up. When building a custom suspension (all stock mounts gone), mounting the lower mounts up high on the tube is SOP. All of my lower mounts are completely above the axle tube, arms are nearly flat, and separation is correct--but it's a custom suspension.

What's the factory vertical separation at the axle and frame? How much higher are you planning on moving them up?
What he said.

Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Not without factoring in vertical separation from frame-side mounting points, as well as both of the UCA mounting points due to the change in loading characteristics from moving the LCA mounts upward.

In short, it's not worth the engineering time unless you're designing a completely custom suspension.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the answers. It's sounding like it's possible, but a bit too much of a project for me to undertake right now on a 2012 that I use as my daily driver.

It seems like it would be possible to move the LCA axle mount while keeping the suspension geometry the same if I moved the UCA mount by the same amount. I.E. just translate both pivot points back and up by the same amount. But I'm guessing I'd run into clearance issues with the UCA.

Oh well... It was an interesting idea anyway. Guess for now I should just pick up some skids. Obviously not snagging rocks in the first place is better... but skids are quick and easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.