JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask everyone a general question. For those of you that bought brand new JK (with 0 - 20 miles on it), how soon did you get your first oil change? One mechanic told me that with any brand new engines, the first oil change should be done between 500 and 1000 miles on it to clean out any initial wear and tear on the new engine.

Also, any issues on using synthetic oil instead of standard oil? I usually prefer synthetic but this is my first Jeep so not sure what to use.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I assumed that the break in oil change had already been done, so I did my first change at 800 miles (happened to be a nice day)

I have been running Amzoil 5W30 and will switch to their 0W30 when I run out of my stash.

I change the filter and top off at multiples of 3,000 and 6,000
Complete change at even multiples of 10,000 (I go 4K to get to 10)
This was the recommendation of a shop I trust.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...I figured it made sense to get an oil change well before the 3000 mark.

So you think Amsoil is the best of all synthetics? I've always used either Quaker State or Mobil 1 for synthetic. But if Amsoil is much better, maybe I'll try it out.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I changed my oil at 3k. The owners manual does not say anything about changing it earlier.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I CHANGED THE OIL AT 500 MILES(W FILTER) DROVE JK NEXT DAY ON A HIGHWAY TRIP ABOUT 90 MILES CAME HOME AND CHANGED OIL AND FILTER AGAIN, SO TO CLEAN THE ENGINE OF ANY NEW BREAK-IN PARTICIALS. ALSO I ALWAYS CHANGE OIL AND FILTER EVERY 2 MONTHS OR 2000 MILES I USE VALVOLINE 5W30 WITH FRAM FILTER

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Two Words

Royal Purple
I agree That Royal Purple is the best. Little hard on the pocket book but really nice. Only other oil I would run other then Royal Purple is Mobile 1. This comes from testing on a Turboed Engine where there is a much larger affect on performance. Not sure how exactly those findings translate over to a v6 NA minivan motor??:shaking::D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not all synthetics are created equal, that is for sure.

I've heard good stuff about Royal Purple.

I get Amzoil at a little bit of a discount so I use it in every crankcase, transmission, and differential I own.

·
Registered
54 Posts
:D:D:D:usa::usa:VALOVLINE AND FRAM FOR LIFE
with a fram..ya wont have too long to worry about the LIFE...:devil:

Mobile 1 and either NAPA GOLD or PURALATOR (same thing just diffrent lable)..used to be a diehard fram guy...till I read several reviews and tests of oil and filters...with fram..ya might as well use a dirty sock with holes in it..not enough filtration!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
:usa::usa::D:D:D98XJ 140,000 VAL /FRAM
86 CJ 110,000 VAL /FRAM
81CJ 92,000 VAL /FRAM
03 PONTIAC (SORRY) 73,000 VAL/FRAM
NUFF SAID

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I ended up using Mobil 1 and I was about 1750 at the odometer. Good sale on 5 quarts and mobil 1 filter for $29.99 (JK needs 6 quarts but still a good deal).:smokin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...sale was at PepBoys, by the way...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts