JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so every now and then i turn on my ac and it makes a hideous noise and smoke or some kind of smokiness comes out of it. any have this happen to them before? its like a loud screeching noise. any one have any ideas?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
ok, so every now and then i turn on my ac and it makes a hideous noise and smoke or some kind of smokiness comes out of it. any have this happen to them before? its like a loud screeching noise. any one have any ideas?
Out of the dash or under hood? Only with the ac on?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
under the hood and only when the ac is on

sounds like maybe it gets stuck and the belt still turns... idk, it only does it for about 2-4 sec

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
How is your belt tension? A bad tensioner (or bad/dirty belt) will allow the belt to slip until the compressor comes up to speed.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
How is your belt tension? A bad tensioner (or bad/dirty belt) will allow the belt to slip until the compressor comes up to speed.
X2 on this, I had that happen and we found that the tension on my belt was too soft so I was smokin the belt. Simple adjustment.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it make a hideous screetch noise and how do i adjust it or check for that matter.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
it has an automatic tensioner. If the belt deflection is more then .5 inches in its longest point then you probably need a new tensioner. Just grab the belt with the engine off and pull on it. Also look at the ribbed side of the belt for signs of burn or glazing, another good indicator.

If that looks good, with the engine off, try to turn the ac compressor and see if its freezing up on you.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have the clutch on the compressor itself checked out to.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok will do, i am just sooo tired of bring it back to the dealership. first it was the engine know(first started up) that they never fixed. i told them about the a/c so they checked that... kind of.. and said it was ok. it never makes the noise when i need it to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts