JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I went out for some good old father daughter time. Figured we'd head up the local trail and I'd let her drive the 3 rated section as I have some faith in her. Well she did amazing all the way up till the very end. I decided to stop spotting her from the outside and got inside to tell her where to pick her lines. By this point she was feeling confident and apparently decided she didn't need to listen to me much anymore and this happened.

Ripped the plastic flat fenders right off.

She decided to get way to close to the tree and not listen to what I was telling her to do. Could have been alot worse a whole lot worse.

We got home my son and I removed the fender and banged it back out. not the best job by any means but now it is not creased and dented in nearly as bad. Wish I had a rubber mallet.

Suprisingly I wasn't even mad about it. She lived, she learned, & it could have been WAYYY worse than it was. It's only thin sheet metal and I can fix it right at a later time anyway, or upgrade. After the incident she kept driving and finished up the difficult part of the trail. I was worried she was going to give up or cry and she didn't what more could I ask from a young teenager who is just learning to drive.

I told her as we were leaving the trail, "I was glad I got to spend quality father daughter time with her " and she said " she was glad she got to too. " Can't beat that right there for anything.

Especially now that I know she has been telling exactly what colored Jeep she wants.

Ohh I have video of it too just need to check it out

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
It's just a piece of metal, rubber, and plastic. Now you and your lil girl will have a story to laugh about... :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
It's just a piece of metal, rubber, and plastic. Now you and your lil girl will have a story to laugh about... :beer:
My thought also. Some of my best wheeling trips have been with just my daughter and myself. Kind of stuff that lasts a lifetime. I'm glad that you had that moment together. Shitilbuffout :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Lol. My daughter almost drove us off a cliff in Moab when she was 14, and when she was 17 the only thing that saved us from a flop when she was driving was the roll cage catching a tree. Shit happens, could easily have been me driving at the time. The important thing is that nobody got hurt and you stay calm and treat it for what it is: a lesson learned.

Last thing you want to do is get all excited and make her scared to try again or to even go off road anymore. Sounds like you did good and handled it just right and you'll both enjoy many more years on the trails together.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Awesome keeping your cool. Shit happens...but it's a rough lessen to learn that an experienced spotter is probably not wrong in situations like that. I would have been more pissed that it happened because she wasn't listening more than inexperience, but, so long as she learns from the situation s'all good.

Plus side, good justification for armour

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Awesome keeping your cool. Shit happens...but it's a rough lessen to learn that an experienced spotter is probably not wrong in situations like that. I would have been more pissed that it happened because she wasn't listening more than inexperience, but, so long as she learns from the situation s'all good.

Plus side, good justification for armour
Dude, are you suggesting incest? :cwm13:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I believe the word you're looking for is amour. Which is french for love.

Armour is the British spelling. Armor is the American spelling. I'm Canadian, (also bilingual, so I knew what you tried to do there) we follow the British grammatical rules. Color is Colour, Armor is Armour.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and missile is MissIIIle and aluminum al YOU minium

Worked with those guys for 8ish 9ish months.

I believe the word you're looking for is amour. Which is french for love.

Armour is the British spelling. Armor is the American spelling. I'm Canadian, (also bilingual, so I knew what you tried to do there) we follow the British grammatical rules. Color is Colour, Armor is Armour.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Great story and great memories. My daughter and I went wheeling and couldn't get her behind the wheel, but she went with me and I was happy about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts