JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put their radiator cooling fan on a switch? Out here in CA it gets pretty hot on trails during the summer and the best thing we did was put our CJ 5's fan on a switch so we could just leave it on all day.

Has anyone done this with a JK yet?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Its belt driven, so you would need to buy an electric fan and do the swap. Other than that its a good idea. Alway shut your fan off before entering a bog or mud hole and turn it on after to keep your rad from getting filled.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Its belt driven, so you would need to buy an electric fan and do the swap. Other than that its a good idea. Alway shut your fan off before entering a bog or mud hole and turn it on after to keep your rad from getting filled.

??????????

JK's are electric not mechanical i.e. belt driven

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
That's what's nice about CA, AZ, and NV trails. No mud or water to worry about! :beer:
LOL worry! We go looking for it ;). It's pretty badass when you have water up to your hood and you see alligators swimming along next to you and you think to yourself "Only in a Jeep!"

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know I've seen cut-off switches on the JK..

Karn..... That was exactly what I was thinking. (That and I like it wet.!)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wow, my bad! I need to spend less time moddin suspension and pay attention to my engine!

Ill sit in the corner now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ran switch controlled electrics on my cj7 and it was great. Like you say, just leave em on except for water crossings. I'd love to be able to control the JK fan.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Plan on a big relay to go with the switch. I'm not certain what the draw is, but the fuse is a 60 amp. I'd go with a normally closed relay rather normally open, as there is less likelihood of a failure in this application.

It was one of those things I was going to do, but I've found that unless I have the AC going the fan is rarely on while on the trail, I just make sure the AC is off before entering any water.

As to leaving it on all day, there just isn't the need. It's often 100°F or more on the trails during the Summer here and I've yet to see any coolant overheating issues on the JK.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts