JKOwners Forum banner

PUTTING IN GEARS INSTALL KITS ETC.??

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  2k2wranglerx 
#1 ·
SO I SEE THESE COMPANIES OFFER INSTALL KITS OVERHAUL KITS ALL THIS CRAP WONDERING WHAT DO I ACTUALLY NEED TO GET A SHOP TO DO IT RIGHT I HAVE A GUY I THINK WILL BE ABLE TO DO A GOOD JOB HAVE THE GEARS YUKON I GOT AN X UNLMITED WITH 23K MILES JUST HAD THE DEALER RESEAL THE DIFFS AND ADD OIL WHATEVER WHAT KITS DO I REALLY NEED? TO GET IT DONE CORRECLTY

THANKKKS

#2 ·
Whoa run on sentence. lol j/k

You need master install kits, a bearing press, impact gun and a big ass torque wrench. Call Randy's Ring and Pinion (www.RingPinion.com) and get him to set you up with the exact parts you need for your rig. Tell him the make and model and the axles you have. He'll be able to set you up with the master install kit with the correct shims. Make sure the kit comes with new bearings too. You'll want to reem out the old ones and use them as setup bearings (not re-use them).

#6 ·
Bare minimum would be pinion nut, crush sleeve, ring gear bolts and shims. I do a few gear swaps, most are low miles and I just re-use all the bearings. Since you don't have to take off the carrier bearings, they are easy to re use. You can just leave the front pinion bearing and seal in the housing. The hardest part is to remove the big pinion bearing because you have to put the shims under it. The install kits are expensive and you don't need all the parts, for that reason I made these kits
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop...ear-Ring-Pinion-Installation-Kit-p-18816.html

Just has the bare minimums, you use the same shims front and rear and can use the loctite and gear marking compound front and rear too.

#8 · (Edited)
i'm not trying to hate, but there's not a lot there for 150 bucks... just my .02... i mean if you have to buy gears anyway... you're 320 bucks in. add your 150 plus shipping and that's 470 without shipping... for 80 bucks more you get ALL the bearings AND front and rear diff covers.... that's just how my brain works though.

after my gear install i had almost all the shims left (only had to open 1 package of pinion shims and didn't need the carrier shims), i had unopened RTV (since the G2's come with it), an extra tube of lock tite, an extra brush and paint for the gears, and all 4 carrier bearings.

i sold that with my front and rear 4.10's for 150 bucks...

#7 ·
my .02 is just do the deal from 4wd. 550 shipped to your door. you get:

ring and pinion front and rear
MASTER install kits (that come with all bearings/shims)
front and rear G2 diff covers

that's a helluva deal. even if you do what i did and dont' replace the carrier bearings, it's still a good deal.

i think northridge's was similar to that but didn't come with diff covers.

or for 450 you can get it with just shims, crush sleeves, and pinion bearings (you will need new pinion bearings), and pinion seals.

tool wise:

press to pull pinion (and carrier if you decide to replace them) and bearing collar
a digital caliper for measuring shims (like 20 bucks at harbor freight)
a tq wrench

how you crush the crush sleeve is up to you. I used the impact at my buddy's shop since it has like 200+ psi going to it, it had enough (barely) to crush the sleeve. most people use a 4 or 5' breaker bar

magnetic dial indicator for checking backlash
in/lb meter for setting pre load

(i did pre load by feel, and i have done backlash by feel as well, but didn't last time)

as far as install. i've done 2 jk's so far (well 3 but i only did the tear down/reassembly on thinkmud's, i didn't set those gears) and we added .005 to both pinions on jeepnick's and i added .008 to both on my wife's and they set up perfectly.

#12 ·
jk

i cant find that 4wd.com deal for 550.00 with covers. whats the benifits of differntial covers? is this a quality of this package good? i have a guy that could hook me up with yukon gears 4.88 for my 3.21 gears jeep, i have to get a carrier also, do i need spider gears also? thanks alot guys

#13 ·
i cant find that 4wd.com deal for 550.00 with covers. whats the benifits of differntial covers? is this a quality of this package good? i have a guy that could hook me up with yukon gears 4.88 for my 3.21 gears jeep, i have to get a carrier also, do i need spider gears also? thanks alot guys
supposedly you need a front carrier, you can put your spiders out of yours in it though. back int he day thinkmud and i put 5.13's in his jeep with 3.21's and used the stock carriers... people don't believe me but we did.

diff covers just provide more protection. they're the G2 aluminum that seem decent. i have one on my front 60 and i haven't busted it yet (and i CAVED the stock cover in).

also, aluminum helps disapate (sp?) heat quicker than cast. it's a trade off, but i haven't heard of anyone breaking one (they're not like the shiny aluminum show covers)

there's 3 companies that make gears for everyone. after setting up 2 G2 gearsets i was very happy with the quality. of course we'll have to see how well they hold up. timken bearings came with the setup kits, so no chinese junk or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.