JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Put a 37 on it and maintain the integrity of your tailgate with one of those parts? You don't, IMO. Neither of those are going to outsmart gravity and the mediocre tailgate.

Put the spare in the back, either of those aren't going to get you very far for very long with a 37..in my opinion.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Sorry but cheap and 37s don't normally go hand in hand.
Yep. Gotta pay to play sometimes, 37s bring the snowball in several areas.

· Registered
315 Posts
If youre cheaping out on a carrier (no offense but to me that's what you're doing) then it makes me wonder what else you cheaped out on. Running 37s is doable but less likely to break things when you sleeve, truss, gusset, and other things to your rig. My opinion hold off until you can afford the good carrier. Toss it in the back and roll that way. Or do it the really cheap way; get AAA and dont run a spare.

· Premium Member
2,154 Posts
If youre cheaping out on a carrier (no offense but to me that's what you're doing) then it makes me wonder what else you cheaped out on. Running 37s is doable but less likely to break things when you sleeve, truss, gusset, and other things to your rig. My opinion hold off until you can afford the good carrier. Toss it in the back and roll that way. Or do it the really cheap way; get AAA and dont run a spare.
yep, throw it in back or wait till you can afford to run the proper equipment to support the 37.

· Registered
802 Posts
My aunt has a BFG KM2 37" mounted on her tailgate. Which I can't believe it hasn't ripped the gate off. I looked at it yesterday wondering how the hell the tailgate has maintained is shape and straightness. It believe all she has is one of those $35 relocation brackets. She bought the 2008 Rubicon that way.

· Registered
7,300 Posts
I had the same problem. I was carrying a 37" spare in the back for quite a while and wanted to get it out of there to get my back seats back.

There is nothing cheap out there that will hold a 37". Start stalking craigs list to see if you can score a deal on a used bumper. In the end, I had my own built and it still wasnt cheap.

· Registered
821 Posts
Also, if you don't mind some minor drilling into your Jeep, just for the landing block, you can grab a OR Fab tire carrier. Will hold a 37 and can be run with any bumper you want including stock. I believe it can be had for less than $500

-Dan

· Registered
931 Posts
A less orthodox approach would be to run field-serviceable wheels, and just carry the tire only. A 60lb tire can be strapped almost anywhere.

There is a thread titled: "Chrono of must haves to run 37s" and once you have adressed those parts, the tire carrier doesnt seem like such a limiting factor.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A less orthodox approach would be to run field-serviceable wheels, and just carry the tire only. A 60lb tire can be strapped almost anywhere.

There is a thread titled: "Chrono of must haves to run 37s" and once you have adressed those parts, the tire carrier doesnt seem like such a limiting factor.
And this is why I've decided to just run 35s. After tons of research I've decided there's just to much to correct to get 37s to work correctly. S I'm gonna run with 35s.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
my buddy (crawlermike) on here has carried a 37" on the Smitty oversized carrier for a few years now. no issues. He does have the MBRP reinforcements too.

I ran a 35" KM2 on stock wheel on the stock carrier with MBRP kit for almost a year. no issues.
and actually my 37" IROK and 16" pro comp wheel weighs the same as the stock wheel with 35.

though now I am going to try and only haul the 37 inside when wheeling...

· Registered
3,051 Posts
Rachet strap that shit in the back upright and call it a day. What else do you need? I have gotten so use to seeing out the back window, I dont believe I would like a huge tire hanging off the back blocking 80 percent of my view, yeah no thanks. IN the rear it goes for me. Prolly forever.

· Registered
215 Posts
And this is why I've decided to just run 35s. After tons of research I've decided there's just to much to correct to get 37s to work correctly. S I'm gonna run with 35s.
So much to correct? Can you explain? I didn't have to correct anything other than a little more bumpstop to keep from eating up my fenders.

OP, I have 37 mtr's and am running the teraflex carrier and love it. I did smack it once or twice at Moab during EJS, but that was while dropping off a 6 foot ledge on behind the rocks trail. With the TF adjustable carrier you can run the tire pretty high and out of the way, but it blocks almost the entire back window. While not wheeling i leave the spare at home and just throw it on there for trips so I can see out the back window

· Registered
175 Posts
Rachet strap that shit in the back upright and call it a day. What else do you need? I have gotten so use to seeing out the back window, I dont believe I would like a huge tire hanging off the back blocking 80 percent of my view, yeah no thanks. IN the rear it goes for me. Prolly forever.
I am only on 35's, but this is the same route that I took after looking at a few people's setups (and spending the tire carrier money on a winch upgrade :) ).

· Registered
7,300 Posts
So much to correct? Can you explain? I didn't have to correct anything other than a little more bumpstop to keep from eating up my fenders.

OP, I have 37 mtr's and am running the teraflex carrier and love it. I did smack it once or twice at Moab during EJS, but that was while dropping off a 6 foot ledge on behind the rocks trail. With the TF adjustable carrier you can run the tire pretty high and out of the way, but it blocks almost the entire back window. While not wheeling i leave the spare at home and just throw it on there for trips so I can see out the back window
I think he meant improve instead of correct. For example, regearing, sleeving, C-gusseting are all somewhat essential to running 37s safely. Yes there is an exception to every rule but what I mentioned is pretty standard.

Also just to add to this conversation, I wheeled Prichett in Moab twice. Once with no spare or rear bumper and the second time with a rear bumper, spare and some additional weight in the back. I could really feel that weight on certain obstacles. If I were to do the build all over, the thought of running spareless would be a very real possibility.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.