JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long wait, I eventually have my PureJeep Rear Bumper with swing away tire carrier. After installing it, it was definitely worth the wait in my view. PureJeep have ramped up the production on them and are now shipping within a few weeks of order.

It was very well packed, and took a few minutes to get unpacked. There were one or two little marks from shipping, but nothing I'd give a second thought too. There are some heat distortion areas visible on the outside of the bumper from where it was welded on the inside, but that is normal and nothing I'd worry about.

Install was simple and can be done by one person, although two may make it a little easier. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. The whole install including unpacking everything took about two hours. It would have been faster apart from two of the bolts on the passenger side d-ring mount were a little tricky due to the proximity of the shaft for the swing away. This took a few minutes of head scratching and then making a couple of the bolts shorter and very slightly trimming one nut to get them to fit okay.

The bumper itself weighs 120 lbs, the swing away 97 lbs, and the d-ring mounts 15 lbs. Giving you a total of 232 lbs, throw on a 120 lb spare and you are adding 350 lbs to the rear of the vehicle. After installing some Poly Performance 4.5" springs recently, the front was weighed down by the bumper and winch, but the rear sat high. The rear bumper brought this down, and the vehicle sits nicely now with just a little forward rake, which will allow for loading the vehicle up.

The swing away is well constructed and strong, the bumper mounted shaft goes all the way down inside the bumper and is braced and gusseted on the inside. The latch is one of those geared teeth type of latches, similar to a door latch. These are very strong, easy to use and secure. I'd like to have seen an option for a safety cable though, especially when bumping around hard on the trail and may add one myself, but suspect it is not necessary.

There is a spring loaded pin at the other end of the swing away with two holes on the bumper, so that the swing away will stay in place when you are accessing the rear.

The bumper is attached to the frame via the four stock mounting bolts on the frame, an additional 1/2" grade bolt with crush sleeve,, which also attaches to gusseted L pieces that tie into the two stock mounting bolts on the cross member behind the bumper. The d-ring mounting area as additional plating on the inside that ties back into the frame attachment points. Both the bumper and d-ring mounts are very securely attached.

The attachment holes are slotted, so that you can easily adjust the rake of the bumper and get in line with the body. The bumper is a good 1/2" to 3/4" away from the body panels, so you shouldn't have any bumper to body contact.

The bumper is nicely designed to follow the lines of the JK and is nicely clearance for maximum departure angle. The wraparound sides will give a lot of protection to the rear corners.

The one negative about the bumper, is that the tire carrier arm slightly covers the license tag. Not sure how they missed that, and as soon as I get a fix it ticket I'll relocate the license tag to the center of the spare.

On the top of the tire carrier there is a place to mount a hi level brake light. I actually mounted a LED trailer light there. It did have a side light, but I cut the wire to that circuit. I wired up the normal light part of it as a marker light, and wired the brake light part of it to the hi level brake light circuit. It is very bright and anyone behind you will definitely know when you hit the brakes.

On the freeway the spare does not move around or rattle at all. It rattles a little going over rough terrain, but there are adjustable stops that can help cut this down.

I liked the bumper when I first saw it nearly 18 months ago, and I like it now. Very well designed and manufactured, and should proof to be great armor on the trail.

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
really fine JK...

I've been pricing things that I want to get for my JK and inherently the list keeps groWING!! how much do you figure you have put into your JK so far?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh boy Phil....you are just damn determined for me to cross you off my Christmas Card list aren't you? Damn...AnOtHeR reason to hate Phil.....I am going to start my own club...let's see what should the name be?...oh I got it!! "I hate PhilD and his awesome Jeep"....yeah that sounds good. :bounce::laughing::D

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh boy Phil....you are just damn determined for me to cross you off my Christmas Card list aren't you? Damn...AnOtHeR reason to hate Phil.....I am going to start my own club...let's see what should the name be?...oh I got it!! "I hate PhilD and his awesome Jeep"....yeah that sounds good. :bounce::laughing::D
:D :D :D

The funny thing is seems just about every time I visit a forum I see another well set up cool looking JK :cool:

I'm actually amazed how many real good looking JK's there are out there, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He has a Rock Hard sport cage installed. Those handles are part of the cage I believe.
Yes, RockHard4x4 sport cage. Not as good as a purpose built chromoly cage, but the next best thing. After a small flop the side and coming close to rolling a couple of times, I started getting a little concerned :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
:D :D :D

The funny thing is seems just about every time I visit a forum I see another well set up cool looking JK :cool:

I'm actually amazed how many real good looking JK's there are out there, which is a good thing.
Well said...and you are right. And in a few weeks I hope to be a part of that crowd myself. :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts