JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and thanks for all input in advance!!

I used to have XJ's and TJ's that I used to wheel locally and loved it.. Got a boat and had to get a tow rig for the boat and get rid of the other toys, regreting it ever since too..

Now I still have the tow rig but badly want to get rid of it and buy a new jk(no way I can afford both)..

My question is that if I buy a jk, will it pull my 21 foot ski boat easily(or even at all)? I will have to get rid to my f250 to be able to fund my new jk.. By the way I do plan on wheeling the jk and putting a 4" lift with 37's and gears etc. However the lake is only about 15-20 miles from where the boat is stored.

Any input is greatly appreciated and hopefully I will be a proud owner of a new jk shortly..

Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts

I used to have XJ's and TJ's that I used to wheel locally and loved it.. Got a boat and had to get a tow rig for the boat and get rid of the other toys, regreting it ever since too..

Now I still have the tow rig but badly want to get rid of it and buy a new jk(no way I can afford both)..

My question is that if I buy a jk, will it pull my 21 foot ski boat easily(or even at all)? I will have to get rid to my f250 to be able to fund my new jk.. By the way I do plan on wheeling the jk and putting a 4" lift with 37's and gears etc. However the lake is only about 15-20 miles from where the boat is stored.

Any input is greatly appreciated and hopefully I will be a proud owner of a new jk shortly..

Thanks.
How much does the boat weigh?

3500 lbs is the JKU's limit. (or so they say)

An identical JKU in europe is rated to pul 3500 KG. I just don't think they want us towing with these. :suicide:

·
Registered
13,214 Posts

Thanks.
Unlimited or a 2dr JK?

·
Registered
430 Posts
With a JKU and some 4.10 gears you should be good as long as your boat is less than 3500 pounds. There is a few threads on here with pictures of Jeeps and what they are towing. Hope this help you, :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
found out that my boat and trailer dry weight will be right at 3270lbs.. I guess Ill give it a try. I also found a family member with a empty boat dock at the lake so I may be in luck.

I want a JK with atleast 4" of lift, atleast 37's, and 5.13's by the time summer hits hard.. Wish me luck, all I have to do is sale my f250 now..

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
not sure on the weight of our boat? but ive pulled it a good bit with my jeep. just remember its one thing to be able to pull it, and a whole new one to be able to stop it :th_pray:

19.5 ft

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Just a little pull...NOT

JKU 3500 and use electric brakes on your trailer if you max it out for safe towing.

I couldn't resist backing up this monster near my house. This is our medium size trailer in Texas. We move Transformers with this crate hauler or this a military something going to Ft. Hood, TX.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I pull a 3000 lb popup with little problem, but have a huge problem towing my pontoon that weighs about the same. It's not the weight I have problems with, it is the wind load. The root cause here is lack of engine torque and insufficient cooling capacity in the JK.

A 21' boat pulls a lot easier than a pontoon because it is a smaller wind load. You should be OK as long as you get your tongue weight right and have working brakes on the trailer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot for the pics and info guys. I really appreciate it alot, looks like im in the market for a new-newish jku.

Hopefully make the moab run with wayalife nest year too !!!!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
You were doin good until wasteoflife.
Hahaha. I really want to see that dude one day so I can attempt to pull his rattail off and run away with it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
who says you even need a trailer???

had to pull it out to drain the pontoons, and no the kids werent down there when i pulled it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You were doin good until wasteoflife.
Well like i said I am new to the JK era so when I typed in jk crawling on youtube, he is the one that showed up the most and had some descent vids.. I havent heard anything else about him..
Does anyone on here plan yearly trips to Moab or anywhere as fun? If so, COUNT ME IN !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.