JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So any way, finally got the jeep in the air and pulled the shafts. The pass side shaft is shattered at the point where the spline starts so the end is still in the locker. I have an arb locker and am wondering if there is any way to get that end out without pulling the ring gear and locker. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Magnet on a stick

·
Registered
263 Posts
You'll want to pull the diff anyway. I bet there'll be a piece lingering in the bottom too. I went the easy way before and it shelled the r&p within a month. When apart for the ring and pinion replacement I found another piece of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried the magnet. No go with that route. I have pulled out pieces of the splines and thought it would come easily. I pulled the other axle but can't get anything all the way through to punch it out. I will try the welding rods. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Tried the magnet. No go with that route. I have pulled out pieces of the splines and thought it would come easily. I pulled the other axle but can't get anything all the way through to punch it out. I will try the welding rods. Thanks.
sorry, forgot a detail. some 1/2" PVC will make life suck less when doing it :laughing: slide PVC till it contact the stub and then slide the rods down or you will be hitting tube the entire way there :laughing:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
sorry, forgot a detail. some 1/2" PVC will make life suck less when doing it :laughing: slide PVC till it contact the stub and then slide the rods down or you will be hitting tube the entire way there :laughing:
This is good advice. It really works!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must need a stronger magnet, I removed all the small pieces this way and have had the magnet on the remaining section but it does not budge.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
This is good advice. It really works!
yup, and you do not even need an arc welder. just a set of jumper cables, neg clamped to the housing and pos to the welding rod.
A single batery is not really enough to strike and hold an arc but will make the rod stick real good.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That shaft was really in there. I tried the to weld to it and it would stick but still would not come out. I ended up going down to Tractor supply and buying a piece of 1/4 steel dowl rod and ground the end down to a half moon shape so that it would fit around the pin in the arb. It took several attempts as the ground down part kept bending but I finally beat the sum bitch out. What a pain in the ass that was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts