JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told that on pulling a big boat (22foot,300hp).that the bigger the tires
the harder it is to pull.anyone else ever heard of that?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Yes bigger tires are harder to pull with. Even when geared right you can say smaller tires will be easier on the engine.

What's that boat weigh? Sounds like a pain for a 3.8l

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
yes a stock gear'd jeep with bigger tires will be harder to tow with. do you kno whow much the boat and trailer weigh?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

19.5 ski boat pulled for about 30 miles. And pulled less than 2 miles to the boat launch several times. My driveway is 1/2 mile long gravel up hill too

Sent by Paul Revere

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Well since my buddy just drove in from Illinois with a 22' 4000 pound rv there and back over 2k miles I would say so, he has stock suspension, 4.10 gears 32" tires with a trans cooler, 7 pin harness with trailer brake controller and said he had no issues, trans temp never went over 178 the whole trip and no braking issues. had his wife and kids with him on the way back as he felt very confident was was very pleased at how well it did towing the rv. And the 4000 pounds is empty trailer weight, that didn't include all the clothes and tools and so on for the job he was on. We used the same jeep to pull a 22' flat trailer with 3700 pounds straight through from houston to san francisco no stopping exceft for gas before we had the tranny cooler and no trailer brakes and it did well, trailer brakes would have been nice to have through some of the national parks we hit on the way back but it did fine. It was no race vehicle getting up to speed and 65-70 was the top speeds.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I pulled my 21' Seadoo Speedster (approx 3500-4000 lbs with trailer) around fine with mine on 37's I wouldn't want to go to Florida with it but I did take it on a 3.5 hr trip to the beach and it was fine. I always had to make sure my surge brakes were adjusted properly so I could stop good but besides that it was fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts