JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what mine sounds like.

I've seen the other video

and mine sounded like that when i put the stethoscope onto it. My question is, the whine at rpm increase that I'm having, is that also a symptom? I see no mention of that in other threads or videos.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I had that problem last year. Tried my stethoscope but the alternator pulley and idler pulley were too close for a definitive answer. You can do some VOM readings on the battery and/or alternator or simply use an infra red thermometer. Tells you right away. Autozone has one for around 30$. Good luck.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Change the idler pulley anyways. I have changed 3 so far in the life of my JK. The last time it was not needed. After I changed it the sound was still there and it turned out to be the alternator.

Try the cheap fix first.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tech confirmed it was the tensioner. Looks like its around $100 for the whole part. Will update when it comes in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tech confirmed it was the tensioner. Looks like its around $100 for the whole part. Will update when it comes in.
Wasting your money buying the whole tensioner, you an just buy the pulley for 15 bucks.

Pissing off my wife since way back

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Wasting your money buying the whole tensioner, you an just buy the pulley for 15 bucks.

Amen. Takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Please show me where because I can't find a part number for it.
It's the same pulley as the idler pulley. You should buy 2 idler pulleys. Replace the idler pulley the same time as the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the same pulley as the idler pulley. You should buy 2 idler pulleys. Replace the idler pulley the same time as the tensioner pulley.

Thank god for warranties then. But thanks for the heads up. I remember reading about it but never could find part numbers. I'll remember though for the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts