JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of time with these things I have stripped out about eighty percent of the nutserts had no problems with them on fenders. What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Nuts and bolt compressor or are you using a good installation tool?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the nut and bolt compressor. I cant get to Fastenal this weekend but I will have to pick up the tool and some more nutserts on monday or tuesday.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If its the nut & bolt tool - they SUCK BALLS! And the one PSC sends is the worst of them all.

Good tool makes the job 1,000 times easier, and with better results. Its worth waiting to get the right tool.

Post some pics of your job when done!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
If its the nut & bolt tool - they SUCK BALLS! And the one PSC sends is the worst of them all.

Good tool makes the job 1,000 times easier, and with better results. Its worth waiting to get the right tool.

Post some pics of your job when done!
When using the PSC tool I ended up getting some heavier/thicker washers... I used two thicker washers with one thin washer in between. AND... between the washers I used lithium grease. Worked much better. I believe I replaced the bolt once also.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
... AND... between the washers I used lithium grease. Worked much better. I believe I replaced the bolt once also.
Grease is a good idea. Also, if you have the nutsert setting gun, its a good idea to lube the threads a little on every one.

corey d

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I think I am going to get some mileage out if this photo...

I won't install anything else nut-zert related until I get the right tool for the job and it isn't that POS one that comes with every accessory.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
I have a nutsert tool that i got from Harbor Freight, and even with that thing you really have to "want" it. It is hard as a sumbitch to get that initial squeeze. There are other tools you can get with long handles that would make it much easier, but they are a bit costly.

corey d

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just dropped some cash on a good one from fastenal. should be here tuesday. I still have to put the rocker armor on and I aint fucking with that little bolt peice o shit ever again.

I broke the one from harbor freight first try bent the handle 30 degrees thank god it wasnt one the jeep just a test chunk of steel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No sh!t I feel your pain on this one!!

I only have one rocker panel installed on my jeep right now because I had a hell of a time getting those damn things on. I am waiting to buy the $650 tool I saw on youtube to finish the other side and do the rear corners and the front fenders. I figure this is a lot of money for a tool but I will use it a lot on this Jeep and who know's on how many others in the so cal area once I get it. I have never been so pissed off as I was that night putting that rocker panel protection on. It was such a nice piece, made by such a good company I knew the problem was me. That made it even worse because no matter what I did that night I couldn't make it much better. The right tools are worth every penny every time. Period.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I only have one rocker panel installed on my jeep right now because I had a hell of a time getting those damn things on. I am waiting to buy the $650 tool I saw on youtube to finish the other side and do the rear corners and the front fenders. I figure this is a lot of money for a tool but I will use it a lot on this Jeep and who know's on how many others in the so cal area once I get it. I have never been so pissed off as I was that night putting that rocker panel protection on. It was such a nice piece, made by such a good company I knew the problem was me. That made it even worse because no matter what I did that night I couldn't make it much better. The right tools are worth every penny every time. Period.
I wish I were closer! I'd install them for you at $650. I must agree my arms were a bit sore after installing my flares and I was gritting my teeth on the last one.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did the tool from Fastenal set you back?
126 for the tool and I had to buy new nutserts at .81cents each. new hardware was pretty pricey.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I used 3M marine pannel adhesive under my rockers, the nutserts were secoundary :laughing:
Shit Gil, do you go full retard on everything? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright after finding out i was strait up fucked by Fastenal (no kiss no reach around) I have ordered a different tool. https://blindrivetsupply.3dcartstores.com/Marson-Giant-Thread-Setter-325-RN-34604_p_823.html and head for it https://blindrivetsupply.3dcartstor...-Nosepiece-for-34604-325-RN-34618_p_1036.html.

Fastenal charged me 126 dollars for a tool that has an MSRP of 75$ and it was about as usefull as the one from harbor freight. After getting the info to ship it back because Fastenal will not price match, and having a lengthy conversation with the guy from blind rivet supply this is the only tool that will actually crush this size nutsert properly. The tool normally goes for 300$ but he sales it for 137$.

Again FUCK Fastenal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used a pneumatic nutsert gun for my armor and fenders and it works like a champ. It was borrowed but had it not been able to come live at my house I would have forked out the 600 dollars. It takes a little finesse to not over tighten them with the air tool.
One of the other things I did was take some longer hex bolts that were not full length threads and cut the heads off and filed a rounded point onto it. Most of mine where 3 1/2" bolts. I screwed these into the nutserts and could use them to slide the parts up on while tightening the rest of the hardware. There were a couple nutserts where they were pulled in one direction or the other sightly and in that case I would screw the stud in and give a little whack to persuade it in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts