JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be shopping for rocker guards soon, and I have narrowed it down to the two PSC offerings. Other than price, and a slight look difference are there any major differences between the PSC Brawler Rockers vs. running the body armor and Rocker Knockers?

Which would me more useable as a step? Is one version stronger than the other?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have the Rocker Knockers and they are not great as a step. Great at holding the Jeeps weight on it's side (don't ask how I know.):suicide:

·
Registered
108 Posts
They both offer great protection. If a step is a concern, then I would look more toward the Brawler Rockers.

-Jason
That same advice was given to me. The Brawler Rockers are a nice step. I heard it described as "mini boatside". The big thing for me was that it didn't chew up clearance to provide that step function.

They come as bare steel. So, I had a mildly textured black powdercoat applied, and it provides reasonable traction. I'd imagine it would be a little slippery when wet or muddy.

I wanted my sliders and fenders to look like a matched set, so my PSC fenders have the same texture (as does my front JK Lite bumper). I'm happy with it.

While I don't necessarily need a step, I like the look. But more importantly, I have a friend that is 5'2", and she appreciates it being there! :)

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Same boot here, I think I like the knockers a little better but I do like the boatside effect of the rockers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They both offer great protection. If a step is a concern, then I would look more toward the Brawler Rockers.

-Jason
I can't say that I need a step, but since they are both about the same price it would be nice to get the step of the Brawlers Knockers.

Also, I should mention...with 37s on the rig there is no step to help me get in. It does help when exiting or taking the soft top off though.
I am thinking once I end up adding tires getting my son in and out of his car seat will be a pain, so hopefulle something like this can make it slightly easier.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the brawler rockers and if needed they make a decent step (so says the ole lady). I have beat the absolute f#*k out of my mine and they beg for more. As far as nutserts are concerned, don't let all the whining scare you away. They really aren't that difficult at all.

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
i'm 6 ft tall and have the rocker knockers. if they stuck out any farther to make a "step" it would be annoying. i more or less slide over/down them to get out and i sure as hell couldn't use them getting in. it's just an awkward angle to use as a step.

now when changing tops, a step would be handy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Rocker Knockers and they are not great as a step. Great at holding the Jeeps weight on it's side (don't ask how I know.):suicide:
Im thinking of getting the new frame mounted Rocker Knockers for my JKU. about how far out do they stick out for you? Im not too worried about the "step" aspect of this mod, just a consideration for the wife... I cant seem to find any pics that profile a top down view or look straight back or forward view hugging the body.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Im thinking of getting the new frame mounted Rocker Knockers for my JKU. about how far out do they stick out for you? Im not too worried about the "step" aspect of this mod, just a consideration for the wife... I cant seem to find any pics that profile a top down view or look straight back or forward view hugging the body.
The furthest point out is about 2 7/8".

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I was in the same boat... I liked the look of both, but I personally wanted the strongest offering for offroading. I called PSC and talked to someone in their sales dept and their response was that out of their two offerings the brawler rockers were more stout and strong, more purposefully designed for offroading whereas the rocker knockers had a little more flair and looked a little nicer, but a bit weaker than the brawlers.

I went with the brawlers and ive been happy with them. as others have said its not the best step in the world, but my 5'3'' wife can get in and out on even surface with the use of a grab handle so not too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Ok folks, I'm gonna be Debbie Downer here so bear with and let me first say that for bolt on products PSC really does make some very nice shit that not only looks great, but functions well also. Larry and his crew are top notch and they really strive to be at the top in their industry.

Now with that said let me give a few words of advice regarding tub mounted sliders. First off, by design they are a very, very bad idea for anyone looking to wheel their shit in any manner remotely considered "hardcore".

Brawler Rockers are sweet as far as providing a perfect step and for gently sliding around in the rocks with the key word being " gently"! They are also the single best looking tub mounted slider on the market as far as I'm concerned however they are plagued by the inherent problems associated with tub mounted sliders.

With the way they bolt to an already very weak, long ass tub section, the cantilever of the step leaves the tub side susceptible to tons of damage should you find yourself crashing down, around and through big boulders or if you push up and over shelves where the break over points are just too much and the full weight of the jeep comes crashing against it. The tub WILL taco and you will discover that your doors either no longer fit or fit very poorly. Many of us have gone through this experience to come to these conclusions and have first hand learned the hard way.

The Rocker Knockers, while not providing much of a step, don't mount directly to the side of the tub but rather under the tub so as far as keeping tub side damage to a minimum they are excellent in that department but mount roughly 1/4" below the bottom of the door so if you come down on them really hard they can bend upward and keep the door from opening and closing. It is this problem that makes these sliders not a good choice again for hardcore wheeling. They also have a shit ton of flex that you can see when you put the weight of the jeep on them and start swinging around boulders and they can get ever so slightly into the tub but you have to be all up in the shit to push them that far. Having tub armor in that case is a very good idea.

Don't despair though cause PSC has another slider that works great. A couple years ago Larry and I went through some issues I had with my Brawler Rockers and wound up designing frame mounted, bolt/weld on rocker knocker style sliders. They are almost identical to the Rocker Knockers only they mount to the frame and have no attachments to the tub whatsoever. I have the first set we came up with and now they are on a buddies jeep taking all sorts of abuse without fail. The step is minimal but the compromise is well worth the lack of damage you will get if you go tub mounted.

I could spew on and on about tub mounted v/s frame mounted but bottom line is do it once, get frame mounted sliders and don't look back...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since I was the OP of this thread several years ago I have decided over the last few years that the PSC sliders are not for me. Rather than trying to absorb and spred the impact across the body they try to just be stronger than the rocks. Eventually I would probably find a rock stronger than either of these rockers.

I have decided to go the Nemesis route that is designed to absorb these rocks through the outer metal and distribute the weight evenly across the body to try to avoid body damage, and if needed the rockers are willing to sacrifice themselves to save the body.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.