JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my order for the PSC Brawler Rockers pending and a potential buyer for my stock Rubi Sliders, I figured today was a good day to finish a little project I've been wanting to do anyway.

This first part of the write up is of personal preference and not required to install these rockers. It is simply me adding an extra layer of rust protection between the body and the armor.

After removing the stock sliders, I masked off the area that will be covered by the pending rockers as well the the high traffic area of the thresholds and complete pinch seam. Once everything was masked off, I gave a quick scuff of the paint finish with a 3M scuff pad and wipe down with de-greaser.

Then using Dupli-color's Truck Bed Liner, I layed down 3 steady and even coats and allowed it all to dry for about an hour before removing all the masking and replacing the plastic molding that I had removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I like that. Looks good! I need to take off my body armor and fix some stuff, depending on what I see, I might go this route too.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Looks like I'm going to have to do that. Looks great!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Prep & Paint

Well everything showed up today right on schedule. There wasn't much of a box left once UPS was finished delivering it, fortunately all the hardware made it even though my precious stickers didn't....:laughing: I donated one of them the forklift @ Spike's....I forgot to snap a pic but I will tomorrow....:laughing:

Anyway, back to the topic. Once I got home with a can of Duplicolor Self-etching Primer and Truck Bed Liner each, I laid everything out and gave all the pieces a scrub down with a scuff pad. Followed that with a wipe down using metal prep and a paper towel.

Then with everything prepped, I laid down a coat of the primer on the exterior surfaces. The interior surface will be simply coated with black epoxy as it doesn't require primer nor will it see the scraping and abuse that the exterior will.

Once the primer dried for about and hour, I hung the upper armor pieces and began to give them their first of to be 3 coats of truck bed liner.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideas

As I was working on these it got me to thinking about some other projects and I'm now contemplating working some rock lights and possibly even an air chuck to be houses within the lower rails sections.

Here are a few ideas using some blue LEDs I had laying around...not necessarily the ones I'll use but the concept it there....:grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided to go ahead and install the upper sections tonight, but after the slow battle with the nutsert tool included in the kit I only made it through one side. I even got all of the nutserts set without stripping a single one.....until I cross threaded the last screw....:pissed:

So tomorrow I'll be pulling it all back off to try and fix my fuck up.

Also wanted to show my solution to making the spyder stand out...day or night.:grinpimp: Using a couple of strips of the reflective stickers you see on trailers, I made a nice little reflective spyder.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
that's very clever on the reflective tape, way to be handy! can't wait to see these bad boys mounted on! Just a question, did you get the rubber liner that goes in between the knickers and the jeep body?

·
Registered
189 Posts
NICE job, and again cool looking spider, you got me thinking I need a set of those..... :)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Awesome, I have some PSC armor I may try to install on Friday. I need to get me some of that Spyder tape!

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Awesome, I have some PSC armor I may try to install on Friday. I need to get me some of that Spyder tape!
I may have some that I can donate to your cause.

Nice work so far, Loki! Can't wait to see the finished product.

One thing, though. by the way the armor is hung on the body, looks like maybe you could've gone a little farther up with the bedliner. Still love the idea, though.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
that's very clever on the reflective tape, way to be handy! can't wait to see these bad boys mounted on! Just a question, did you get the rubber liner that goes in between the knickers and the jeep body?
No I didn't, this was part of the reason for the bedliner prep. Hind sight would be to use the Rubberized Undercoating vs bedliner for this location. It would essentially serve the same function while also providing a level of rust protection.

I may have some that I can donate to your cause.

Nice work so far, Loki! Can't wait to see the finished product.

One thing, though. by the way the armor is hung on the body, looks like maybe you could've gone a little farther up with the bedliner. Still love the idea, though.
I knew I hadn't even before they arrived. That was intentional, I didn't want to go too high. Once I get settled into the new place in a few weeks, I plan to go back and extend the lines of the armor with bedliner. Hard to explain, but I'll post pics.

For now here are more pics of the rest of the install. I found my missing socket chuck for my cordless impact, so installing the rest of the nutserts went much quicker tonight. However, though I appreciate the 5 extra nutserts, I came up short two screws for the upper armor....I'm guessing someone lost count when preparing the parts bag....:homersimpson: I also recommend starting from the centerand work out when putting in the screws. Doing so helps eliminate miss alignment issues resulting in a cross threaded screw, also don't tighten any of the screws completely until you have all the screw started. Once you do, return to the center screws and begin to tighten each one working your way out to the ends.

Once the upper armor is install, you simply pop on the clip nuts on the tabs. Now remove the three body mount bolts completely and set aside as they will be reused in a few minutes. Carefully slide the lower armor onto the tabs and line up the holes, now re-install the body bolts but do not tighten them.

Install the next round of screws and snug them up, yet allow some movement for final positioning. Once you have everything where it needs to be, tighten the screws first. Follow up with the body bolts and an ice cold :beer:.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Now for the bad points:

1. The one cross threaded screw
  2. Two missing screws
  3. Method of packing chewed up my PSC stickers

and worst of all
  4. I had to remove my brand new Rooster Offroad stickers....:bawling:

Overall, I know most have had bad experiences with those nutserts and the supplied tool, but with the extra oversized washers and the impact wrench, I found the process pretty simple and painless. The extra washer allowed a more shallow install space as the bolt was longer than the nutsert. Also by moving the washers to the other end and close to the Jeep body, it helped provide a more stable and flat install.

The fact that these were free makes it all that much better, but if money wasn't ever an obstacle, I would recommend these to anyone any time.

Thanks again PSC and The Mid Florida Jeep Club for these......:beer::beer::beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Looking good!

For the lights, I would re-orient the light to the other side of the mount, and place it across the hole, so it goes at an outward angle...

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking good!

For the lights, I would re-orient the light to the other side of the mount, and place it across the hole, so it goes at an outward angle...
I'll revisit the light project later once I have a better light to sample. The pic was just a quick shot of one possibility. For the most ideal light, you are correct, the source does need to have a more direct line over the hole vs the angled location.;)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Do you have enough room for a 4.5"x4.5" square????

Edit, bigger than I thought.

You can cut it to about a 2"x2"...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Its a 12v board, but not sure how well they bounce light.
I got some to play with, but I am yet to test them...

(Hey, $.25 a piece, and I was ordering other shit anyways.)
Grabbing a 9v and one to see.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Not sure they'll have enough light... And they throw it off the sides of the square. Better for surface lighting.

Edit
Vid:

5"x6"x7" box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts