JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The debate of HP rear axle and towing....

I have the ProRock60 front and rear with 5.38 gears and will be putting in a 5.7 hemi next summer. i want to be able to haul a pop-up camper, or a trailor with ATVs/UTVs on it (5-6K lbs)...

I would have thought that 1 ton axles, and 300+hp would pull this easily but some na-sayers are telling me that a HP rear axle is running on the coast side of the gears and that it would not be smart to haul anything with that axle...

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or answers???

I have sent an email to Dynatrac, and will post their response once i get it.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Tow it, with that set up I woulnd't be afraid. It's not like your trying to pull the load of a 1-Ton truck.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts

I have the ProRock60 front and rear with 5.38 gears and will be putting in a 5.7 hemi next summer. i want to be able to haul a pop-up camper, or a trailor with ATVs/UTVs on it (5-6K lbs)...

I would have thought that 1 ton axles, and 300+hp would pull this easily but some na-sayers are telling me that a HP rear axle is running on the coast side of the gears and that it would not be smart to haul anything with that axle...

So, pull the rear driveshaft and pull in in front wheel drive! :) Nah, seriously, pull it. I'm sure if the stock D44 can handle 3500# than a D60 can handle 5-6k.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Im sure you'll be fine. I would look at getting a transmission cooler and possibly an oil cooler.

Here is a great website for 545RFE transmission parts...
http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rfe_performance_parts_from_pat.htm

Also you may want to look into getting one of these that the hemi cop cars use...
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/5-7l-6-1l-police-oil-cooler-kit-2008-pklxoc08.html?cat=565

oo yeah, want to bolt on 425HP for $5,700? Here ya go....
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/6-1l-srt-8-hemi-crate-engine-production-replacement-chrysler-or-dodgerl037400ca.html

·
Rock God
537 Posts
Marine-
You're really on the edge when you tow that much weight. The HP rear design (any HP rear design) is not designed for towing. While it can be done, be aware of the limitations. Keep an eye on the rear diff temp (easy with a infrared) and drive nice.

As for this comment from Slippery- " Can't say for yours, but Currie built mine with the lower gear range carrier and thick gears so it would e as strong as a low pinion, well, maybe, anyway that's the idea."

The thick gears have nothing to do with strength. It's all about gear availability. Certain ratios are only available in 'Thick' gears.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Marine-
You're really on the edge when you tow that much weight. The HP rear design (any HP rear design) is not designed for towing. While it can be done, be aware of the limitations. Keep an eye on the rear diff temp (easy with a infrared) and drive nice.

As for this comment from Slippery- " Can't say for yours, but Currie built mine with the lower gear range carrier and thick gears so it would e as strong as a low pinion, well, maybe, anyway that's the idea."

The thick gears have nothing to do with strength. It's all about gear availability. Certain ratios are only available in 'Thick' gears.

Thanks. I didn't know that's why they did it, but I shoulda!

At what temp would one be concerned using the infrared device?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Marine-

Would there be a big difference in towing with a full float versus semi float axle?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Would there be a big difference in towing with a full float versus semi float axle?
Full float axles can generally support more weight. Such as a heavier vehicle on top of them.

Basically, a full float is stronger because there is another set of bearings carrying the weight of the vehicle. However, it wouldn't really matter much in this situation because it doesn't change how strong the gears are.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Full float axles can generally support more weight. Such as a heavier vehicle on top of them.

Basically, a full float is stronger because there is another set of bearings carrying the weight of the vehicle. However, it wouldn't really matter much in this situation because it doesn't change how strong the gears are.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

·
Rock God
537 Posts
At what temp would one be concerned using the infrared device?
That's a great question and I'm not able to find a great answer. I'm finding info that has 'acceptable' temperatures reaching 300* but others talking about oil failure at 212*. A very good AMSOIL (the link no longer works but I have a hard copy) study did an oxidation test (which is a cause of gear lube failure) which used a 250* upper limit. I think it would be safe to assume that we don't want the oil to be at that upper limit.

The concern with a HP rear end not destruction due to impact or torque but oil breakdown leading to bearing failure. We feel we have the best oiling system on the market due to the dual sump system we use. The pinion bearings are always bathed in oil, even on start up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts