JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i've noticed that the lockers in my rubi are uber slow to engage. what its doing is, when i engage either, it takes sometimes longer than a minute to engage. the light will just flash and i'll try it standing still, rolling and in neutral. other times, twice since ownership, i've hit the switch and the lockers engage and stay lit the first time. i bought the JK in august and have less than 5k on it. i typically hit the locker button when i think i'll need it before i get to the obstacle so that by the time i get there, it should have engaged.

i was wondering if that was normal to take forever or should it engage pretty quick? i'm going to have the dealer look at it but i don't want them to say its normal operation when its not. thanks!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Never really experienced much of a delay when locking, occasionally unlocking, but that is normal.

You need to find out is if the lockers are actually engaging or not. I've noticed that the locker indicator does not always show the true state of the locker.

I know this is blindly obvious, but are in 4Lo when trying to use the lockers?

Why are you in Neutral? I've never selected Neutral to engage a locker, just be moving nice and slow. Even if you engage it when stationary, if it doesn't immediately lock, it will as you start to move.

A

·
0 Posts
I haven’t really used my lockers or low range off-road yet but I’ve played around with them and you have to be moving 2-3 MPH for the lockers to engage or they just flash at you. There’s a section in the manual (yeah I know real men don’t read manuals ;) but in this case I’d take a peek before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for not adding those in there and i have read the manual. its in 4 low, tried rolling a few miles an hour. funny though, if i shift to 4 low, transmission still in neutral and hit the locker buttons, they lite up and stay lit.

when you guys are in 4 low and hit the locker button, does it engage and stay lit pretty quick? thanks for the feeback so far.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
when you guys are in 4 low and hit the locker button, does it engage and stay lit pretty quick? thanks for the feeback so far.
For the most part yes. Sometimes I have to crawl forwards a little, and if hit while stationary sometimes it will engage immediately, and other times when I move forward, but I can't recall having to wait any length of time ever.

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen quite a variation in the time it takes my lights to stop blinking, particularly the first several times. I am almost always rolling when I engage and disengage them. I can easily see how they might not engage if you are stopped (things not lining up).

When I first got mine, it would take 15 or 20 seconds on one attempt and then be 1 or 2 seconds on the next. I find that it's almost always quick now (a second or two).

One additional thing you might try when they won't engage or disengate is to make sure you are rolling and then steer somewhat left and right. I'm only guessing here, but the thought is that this would force the inside and outside wheels to turn at very slightly different speeds and if things weren't "lining up" it would help to allow them to align and engage.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i usually do lock them when rolling slowly. its weird b/c sometimes the front would engage almost immediately, while the rear would take about 30-40 seconds. sometimes, it takes longer but i can't imagine that its supposed to. i'll keep messing with it and still have the dealer look at it, since it will be there anyway for the roof leak.

·
14ers
479 Posts
I'm with gcg on this. Sometimes 1-2 sec, sometimes 30 or more. It is all dependant upon the gears lining up. Seems to works best rolling around 2-3 mph in gear (4o) on fdlat level ground with no resistance toward forward momentum. I have had to engage after thinking I can make and got myself into a situation. I then has to rock it and turn the steering to finally get them all engaged.

But they do engage faster than the front disco kicks in...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts