JKOwners Forum banner

241 - 260 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #241 (Edited)
Ok got a surprise done tonight. Changing the look of the Jeep quite a bit but it looks just as good as I had bet on.

Out with the Altitude edition black grill and in with the Polar edition grill!

Also installed some JL hood latches while the grill was off. That was not a direct bolt on.....had to do a lot of trimming on the JL latches to get the hood/fender line back right and also the tension on the latches just right.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Ok got a surprise done tonight. Changing the look of the Jeep quite a bit but it looks just as good as I had bet on.

Out with the Altitude edition black grill and in with the Polar edition grill!

Also installed some JL hood latches while the grill was off. That was not a direct bolt on.....had to do a lot of trimming on the JL latches to get the hood/fender line back right and also the tension on the latches just right.

So are the slots wider on that new grille, or is it just an illusion from the black trim? Looks great!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
So are the slots wider on that new grille, or is it just an illusion from the black trim? Looks great!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The slots are exactly the same. I pulled my OEM black inserts out of my original grill and popped them in this blue one. A lot of grills don't have the separate inserts so you see more of the body color.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
L86 & 8L90E transmission. I've been wanting to do a forced induction kit on my 3.6L but after plenty of reading, I can't be confident that I'm not getting into a huge headache and disappointment especially with the automatic transmission.

I started watching A LOT of Motech videos then started looking into the Gen V engines and 8 speeds, and after finding a really good deal on this one, it didn't make as much sense to invest into more power from the 3.6L.

So I snagged this up and now gotta save up for the Motech install kit.

And here lies the air dilemma....I know the ORO kit obviously won't bolt up to the new engine. Not sure that I would even be able to rig it up on a belt drive on the L86 or if there is even any room. Motech has not tried this yet.

So should I put the ORO kit on and enjoy it for the time being till who knows when I will be doing the engine swap and then sell the ORO kit used.........or leave it in the box and sell the kit new and purchase an ARB Twin electric compressor?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Saw that you have dogs. Do you also bring the 2 of them to your road trips? I also have 2 dogs but I only bring one since only one can fit in my crate. (Just like this https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82213729ab.html )Can you recommend any custom pet crate for 2 dogs so that I can upgrade mine?
No I don't bring them in this Jeep, it's too nice inside .
I used to bring the blue male everywhere I went in my last jeep, but have never used any type of kennel/cage thingy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am still working the bugs out of my L86/8L90/Atlas swap.

My experience with Motech was not the best, but it seems that the vast majority of the people are very pleased with them. I read about another company getting ready to release a gen V swap kit. I would take a strong look at them as well if it’s ready when you are.

There is no way the York will fit under the hood. I can’t find a space for my coolant overflow bottle!

The engine is a beast, I’m still working on transmission tuning. There’s a long way for me to go yet, and my tuner’s availability hasn’t matched with my schedule over the last week or so.

I asked what year because it affects the programming. Seems 2015’s have less engine issues, but more trans issues. 2016 less trans issues, but somehow my engine wouldn’t build power, I had to change the OS to get it to run right. 2017 + has the computers locked down and is more costly to unlock/license.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
I am still working the bugs out of my L86/8L90/Atlas swap.

My experience with Motech was not the best, but it seems that the vast majority of the people are very pleased with them. I read about another company getting ready to release a gen V swap kit. I would take a strong look at them as well if it’s ready when you are.

There is no way the York will fit under the hood. I can’t find a space for my coolant overflow bottle!

The engine is a beast, I’m still working on transmission tuning. There’s a long way for me to go yet, and my tuner’s availability hasn’t matched with my schedule over the last week or so.

I asked what year because it affects the programming. Seems 2015’s have less engine issues, but more trans issues. 2016 less trans issues, but somehow my engine wouldn’t build power, I had to change the OS to get it to run right. 2017 + has the computers locked down and is more costly to unlock/license.
Oh man, not good to hear!
I don't really have any way of confirming what year mine is other than they told me it was a 2018. Are there any markings or numbers anywhere on it I can check? The engine/trans/t-case are all out of 1 unit at least.
I called Motech twice before buying it and they reassured me I could do it and they would help me with everything over the phone. He did suggest I go ahead and buy HPTuners.
What problems did you have with them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am in Mexico, so that always adds a layer of issues, I don't think anyone in the US would have the level of issues I had.

1st, it took longer to ship the kit out than they said. Which took me down to the wire on timeline. I had friends lined up to come down here to help with the install, airline tickets booked.

2nd. Then when it arrived here, half the stuff was missing. May or may not be Motech fault since there were two freight forwarders involved in getting it to me, so I will not fault them on that. But in trying to figure out what was missing, I kept asking for a list of what I was supposed to receive. Never did get that. Got a few different lists, but not a packing list. I was in a huge crunch not wanting to waste the time I had friends here to help with, so I flew a person to Las Vegas and all the way down to me with what was supposed to be all the missing parts less AC hoses. It was not all the parts.

3rd. I kept needing help with how things were to go together. I'm a pretty smart guy, but between not knowing if I had all the parts, if they were even for the right engine (they kept talking to me about gen 4 stuff) and a total lack of instructions, I needed to ask questions. The first couple days they were OK with responding, but after that I literally went two weeks without them answering my phone or returning messages or anything. Keep in mind that at this point I have paid them very near 10k (half of the parts paid for twice).

4th. Once I got the thing running I thought I was golden. Not so, I had a couple wires in the harness that pulled out of their connectors which took a lot of time to chase down.

I still have some issues, I felt like it should have been a little more refined out of the box than it has been. Lots of surprise costs for me.

I felt a very clear shift in service after the credit card got whacked.

Just reading what I have typed out here makes me feel bad like I am trash talking them and I may delete this. I think they were busy and my situation was way more complex than anyone else's would be. Most of what they have is quality and well thought out. If they would take three days and document what they know and give that to every buyer, it would have been a much different experience.

Something as stupid as the radiator hoses. I didn't know there was supposed to be a hard line in both upper and lower hoses, so I try to use the hoses they sent (no hard line showed up) and no matter how I put the hoses they didn't work right.

Sorry to rant, but you kind of asked for it. I'll do my best to help anyone with the knowledge I have gained.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
I am in Mexico, so that always adds a layer of issues, I don't think anyone in the US would have the level of issues I had.

1st, it took longer to ship the kit out than they said. Which took me down to the wire on timeline. I had friends lined up to come down here to help with the install, airline tickets booked.

2nd. Then when it arrived here, half the stuff was missing. May or may not be Motech fault since there were two freight forwarders involved in getting it to me, so I will not fault them on that. But in trying to figure out what was missing, I kept asking for a list of what I was supposed to receive. Never did get that. Got a few different lists, but not a packing list. I was in a huge crunch not wanting to waste the time I had friends here to help with, so I flew a person to Las Vegas and all the way down to me with what was supposed to be all the missing parts less AC hoses. It was not all the parts.

3rd. I kept needing help with how things were to go together. I'm a pretty smart guy, but between not knowing if I had all the parts, if they were even for the right engine (they kept talking to me about gen 4 stuff) and a total lack of instructions, I needed to ask questions. The first couple days they were OK with responding, but after that I literally went two weeks without them answering my phone or returning messages or anything. Keep in mind that at this point I have paid them very near 10k (half of the parts paid for twice).

4th. Once I got the thing running I thought I was golden. Not so, I had a couple wires in the harness that pulled out of their connectors which took a lot of time to chase down.

I still have some issues, I felt like it should have been a little more refined out of the box than it has been. Lots of surprise costs for me.

I felt a very clear shift in service after the credit card got whacked.

Just reading what I have typed out here makes me feel bad like I am trash talking them and I may delete this. I think they were busy and my situation was way more complex than anyone else's would be. Most of what they have is quality and well thought out. If they would take three days and document what they know and give that to every buyer, it would have been a much different experience.

Something as stupid as the radiator hoses. I didn't know there was supposed to be a hard line in both upper and lower hoses, so I try to use the hoses they sent (no hard line showed up) and no matter how I put the hoses they didn't work right.

Sorry to rant, but you kind of asked for it. I'll do my best to help anyone with the knowledge I have gained.
Thank you for sharing! Don't delete.
How long ago did you order? They sound to have a lot of Gen V's running from all of the videos.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ordered November 26, 2018 shipped Jan 9th.

I am sure they have a lot of gen v running around. I think they are doing a lot of swaps in-house.

Don't let me discourage you. But I would give a hard look at the RPM Extreme that posted up in the engine swap section. I spoke to them in November but they were not doing kits at that time.

In hind-site, I should have seriously considered sending the Jeep up and had one of those companies do the swap. I spent a ton buying things twice and flying a person all around to get parts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Oh not that far back huh. Hmm.
I haven't considered any other company for the kit....thought Motech were the pioneers of this stuff, but I am a but concerned that their kits are not too user friendly and that they are better at doing the install themselves. There's just no way I could afford all that extra cost. Doing this myself is big enough.

241 - 260 of 302 Posts