JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure why but the search function does not work for me. So at the risk of asking a repeated question, I am having a real problem with getting my front end aligned after the lift and axle swap. The local Jeep dealer says they can’t mount the alignment heads due to the Poison Spyder bead locks. I can’t put the factory Sahara wheels back on as they rub the upper rear links. This is the second attempt at getting the alignment done. The ESP comes on constantly. I know that the alignment needs to be done with the star scan tool to center the steering wheel. Anyone’s experience with this would be great, especially in the Cincinnati area.
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice. I like the technique on adjusting your toe in. My problem is the caster or pinion angle. My understanding is that it needs to be set at 4.0-4.2 degrees in order to prevent the EPS from coming on. Also the steering wheel has to be within 1 degree of true or ESP problems again. I can buy an angle finder and set my pinion myself, and I may have to, but with the sensitivity of the electronics I was wondering what other peoples experience has been. The frustrating part is that the Dealer has lifted Jeeps on the lot but can’t give me a reason why mine is different. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
242 Posts
. Also the steering wheel has to be within 1 degree of true or ESP problems again.
This is a 5 minute fix.

Insert key and unlock the steering column.
Loosen nuts on drag link adjuster.
Turn drag link adjuster the appropriate way until steering wheel is straight.
Tighten everything back down.
Make a pass around the block.
If not perfectly straight fine tune adjustment.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Also the steering wheel has to be within 1 degree of true or ESP problems
I drove with mine completely out of wack for over a month and esp never came on.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I just bent my drag link. 1* may be the specs but it does not have to be that exact, you can just do it by eye. I had my wheel a little off center and had no problems. now that I bent it it is quite a ways off to the right so when I go around long sweeping corners to the left it triggers the ESP. Today I think I will get off my arse and adust it...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Our 07 4door on 37" tires has no issues. I adjusted the drag link here in the shop, just eyeballing it, and got it perfectly straight on the first try.

Personally after a lift and larger tires I'd much rather see that ESP crap be removed. I can try to accelerate into corners and it almost always starts cutting power to the engine, and the brakes start doing their thing. In my environment I like to have 100% control over the vehicle. This new junk doesn't sit well with me.

I drove with mine completely out of wack for over a month and esp never came on.
Your lucky.

I just finished developing a 3" lift kit on an 08 2-door with the Rubicon BFG's on it about 2 weeks ago, and within 1 mile of the first drive I was turning a corner, ESP was blinking, brakes were grabbing funny.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because i thought this was an easy solution, tried to let he local dealer do it. After listening to what you are all were saying, I went out and bought the level indicator and found my caster to be in the 2* range. I had to travel this week, a manufacturers duties are never complete, but I will set the caster myself this weekend and see where to go from there. I will keep you posted, and I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. I like the technique on adjusting your toe in. My problem is the caster or pinion angle. My understanding is that it needs to be set at 4.0-4.2 degrees in order to prevent the EPS from coming on.
Caster will not effect ESP. I've ran everything from 1° to 5° with no ESP issues. Factory spec is 4.2° ±0.5° (3.7° - 4.7°). There are other issues with running too low a caster angle, but ESP isn't one of them.

Also the steering wheel has to be within 1 degree of true or ESP problems again.
15° seems to be the magic number to set off the ESP. I doubt many steering wheels are within 1°.

I can buy an angle finder and set my pinion myself,
To get a good caster angle you are going you are going to have to go high on the pinion angle. Depending on which drive shafts you have this may introduce vibration. I've found that much below 2° caster makes it a little squirrelly to drive, once you get above 2.5/3° it gets much better. If you can 4-5° without any driveline vibration then you'll be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hell i had issues with the esp/bas and abs lights come on in my stock rubicon. After the lift i have less issues but it still comes on and stays on till i let it sit overnight.

I can be driving down a straight smooth road and have it come one before and after the lift i wish i could remove all of it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts