JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 3in lift on my 07 4 door JK. I assisted some friends who have done lifts to many other jeeps, but for me it was my first time. I'm hoping to maybe get some help to questions I have about it. The most major problem I am having right now is the front track bar relocation bracket. The entire set of directions says nothing about the front track bar except to only loosen it, and not remove it. This would make it impossible to drive. Yet when the lift was finished, we still had one piece that was no where in the directions and it just happen to fit perfectly to the original trackbar bracket and place the track bar in perfect postion. Since installing it, we have had nothing but problems with steering, alignment, and the traction control system engaging during regular driving. We have determined that the bracket, although tightly in place still has a lot of movement too it. I've checked online and found other relocation brackets and replacment adjustable trackbars but due to my location in Guam, neither of these options will work with the 2-3 week wait necessary. One local shop said the would permanetly weld it into place. Heres pictures of the brackets...

(Sorry for the big pictures but it helps to understand.

Here is after I turned the wheel

The other problems we encountered were the front brake lines and rear trackbar relocation bracket. I specifically purchased a kit that wouldnt require any cutting or welding. The rear track bar OEM bracket needed to but cut off. Something that wasent explained in the directions at all. And the kit failed to provide any brakets for the front brake lines and now they are rubbing on the times during normal operation.

Any help here would be great.. Thanks...

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can see why you would have issues with that small bracket attached to the track bar. The way its bolted in with one bolt only in the axle bracket, it would work more as a hinge of sorts. You would need a second bolt to prevent it from rotating. But either way, thats not where it goes. There isn't a relocation bracket for the front track bar with the Teraflex 3" lift.

That little bracket is a reloaction bracket for the rear shock on the passenger side. But only if you have the rear trackbar relocation bracket that drops down from the frame on the passenger side. It relocates the bottom of the shock to push the shock out away from the rear track bar relocation bracket. I had this on mine but not until after the trackbar bracket hit the shock. I went to Teraflex and they gave me that little bracket to relocate the shock.

Also, I am not sure what rear track bar bracket you got, but none of them should require you to have to cut out the existing OEM bracket. The relocation bracket would bolt to the existing OEM bracket and then to the trackbar itself. Do you have the bracket that drops down from the frame on the passenger side of the vehicle? Or do you have the bracket that mounts to the axle on the driver's side?

If you have the one that mounts to the axle then you won't need the shock relocation bracket. And if your going to be calling Teraflex for whatever reason request the rear trackbar bracket that mounts to the axle if you don't already have it. It is much stronger and more stable than the drop bracket. Teraflex has been very good to work with and would probably send it to you. If you bought from a local vendor, then it might be more of a hassle but you should be able to get somewhere without or without the local vender's involvement.

If you have already cut your bracket off, well... I am not sure what to tell ya other than you may have to look into getting it reattached.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would this problem with the front track bar create the problem I am having with the traction control comming on at odd times?

Heres a picture of the current rear trackbar bracket that im using. The old OEM bracket that was cut off went underneath this one...

If the bracket in the other pictures are not the front trackbar bracket, what does it look like?

*edit* I see teraflex has another different bracket for the rear track bar. Heres a pic of it. That is similar to the one I am having problems with in the front, but not the same..

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm not familiar with the kit myself, but that front track bar bracket does not look right, it actually looks more like a frame mounted bracket?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Take a look at the Poly Performance front trackbar bracket. These trackbar brackets are very stout and impressive.

That looks like just the parts I need. Quick question. Lets pretend for a second that I dont know what I am talking about. Do I need the other parts listed on the page???

"NOTE: Requires use of minimum 3" front bump stop extension kit.
NOTE: Requires use of steering drag link flip kit."

It almost seems like it would be a money saver to just get an adjustable front trck bar.

I'm not familiar with the kit myself, but that front track bar bracket does not look right, it actually looks more like a frame mounted bracket?
I agree and so did the rest of the team. It seemed strange that it only had one anchor point...

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Do I need the other parts listed on the page???

"NOTE: Requires use of minimum 3" front bump stop extension kit.
NOTE: Requires use of steering drag link flip kit."
The 3" bump stops are just to make sure the bracket doesn't contact the frame. You'd have to take a look and see if you need to change bump stops after installing it, the ones provided by Teraflex are likely enough though.

The high steer drag link is needed to keep the steering geometry correct. You should not raise the track bar at the axle without doing the same to the drag link.

It almost seems like it would be a money saver to just get an adjustable front trck bar.
But that does not address the roll center, by raising the roll center with an axle mounted bracket you will improve the handling of the vehicle. Of course it does require you to go high steer on the drag link, but that will improved steering response also and reduce bump steer.

The Poly solution may not be the most economical route, but it would be the best one in the long term.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Would this problem with the front track bar create the problem I am having with the traction control comming on at odd times?

Heres a picture of the current rear trackbar bracket that im using. The old OEM bracket that was cut off went underneath this one...

If the bracket in the other pictures are not the front trackbar bracket, what does it look like?

*edit* I see teraflex has another different bracket for the rear track bar. Heres a pic of it. That is similar to the one I am having problems with in the front, but not the same..

I have that same rear track bar bracket, and you do not cut off the OEM bracket. The new bracket bolts to it as well as around the axle and at the control arm location.

So you have the good rear bracket, just it wasn't necessary to cut off the OEM bracket to install it. Note the bolt in my pics above at that location.

So now just remove that little bracket from the front. And it could very well be the traction control problems. As it is now it's allowing for additional movement that the vehicle should not be experiencing, hence thinking that it is out of control.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
DO NOT DRIVE IT if you can avoid it with that front track bar the way it is. You hit one pot hole the wrong way and you get a death wobble that will rip the whole mount off and quite possibly result in an accident.

My kit is different being a 4" plus I'm using the Poly Performance track bar mount, so I can't tell what a Teraflex front track bar relocation bracket it supposed to look like, but that is not right.

You should also have your rear track bar mount welded for support. That bracket is designed to use the factory bracket for support. The additional mounts are there to reinforce it.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I stayed up late enough to contact Teraflex (which meant 1am for me) to find out what was up. Instead I found that me and my friends were idiots. The bracket I put on the front trackbar was not necessary, in fact no bracket except the OEM one is necessary. So I took the old bracket off and took her out for a spin. Hopefully after I get an alignment done tomarrow, everything will be all better. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have that same rear track bar bracket, and you do not cut off the OEM bracket. The new bracket bolts to it as well as around the axle and at the control arm location.

So you have the good rear bracket, just it wasn't necessary to cut off the OEM bracket to install it. Note the bolt in my pics above at that location.

So now just remove that little bracket from the front. And it could very well be the traction control problems. As it is now it's allowing for additional movement that the vehicle should not be experiencing, hence thinking that it is out of control.
The bracket wouldnt find over the old one. Apparently (after talking to some people) there are 2 different OEM rear track bar brackets and only one fits with the bracket from teralfex. I plan on having it welded to the frame this weekend...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Glad you got it worked out. I even learned something. I didn't know Teraflex switched from a frame mount rear like I'm running to and axle mounted bracket. Might be worth a call to Teraflex to see what they can do for me. That way it would match my front mounted axle bracket. :beer:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Just wanted to add, that you really don't need an alignment unless it was out before. You just need to center your steering wheel, which is easy. You adjust it by loosening the jam nut on the drag link and turning the adjuster. Get it where you think it's straight, drive it and note how much more you need, adjust it again until you get it right.

I'm assuming you got the kit without control arms. If this is the case, then there aren't any other adjustments to worry about. It will be a little dartier than stock, because you can't dial in you caster, but you will be fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the response Rotorhead. I plan on soon going to that front trackbar bracket by polyperformance, but that will probably have to wait. My offroading is really at a minimum right now being active duty and stationed over in Guam. But I like to keep the jeep safe for my family over here. The whole project was a learning experience for me and I believe I wont do much more major modifications while being stationed here. It takes too long for parts to arrive, shipping costs way too much, and the lack of qualified people to help really doesent help the cause. I actually paid almost $500 all togther for shipping. Well thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The problem you're having is pretty common. Manufacturers tend to simplify the bracket too much and then they never hold up and they flex all over.

Here is another option for a trackbar relocation bracket. This is packaged with Warrior's new 3" lift kit they just released, but also available separately. Listing that on the website is today's mission actually, as soon as I receive pricing on just the brackets.

This bracket is two piece and anchors to the factory trackbar mount hole, as well as an additional 5 mount points.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The problem you're having is pretty common. Manufacturers tend to simplify the bracket too much and then they never hold up and they flex all over.

Here is another option for a trackbar relocation bracket. This is packaged with Warrior's new 3" lift kit they just released, but also available separately. Listing that on the website is today's mission actually, as soon as I receive pricing on just the brackets.

This bracket is two piece and anchors to the factory trackbar mount hole, as well as an additional 5 mount points.

Does it ancor to the axle as well as the factory bracket? I can't tell from the pictures. I wouldn't want anything that depended soly on the factory mount to hold. That's why I chose the poly front bracket. I no longer worry about the front track mount breaking off.

I'm sure that one does have extra support, I just can't see in the pictures.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
It doesn't anchor to the axletube. During testing it didn't really prove to be an issue at all.
Thanks, it looks like it does have tabs that go above and below the axle. That looks like it would provide some vertical support. Got any shots from the back?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts