JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a couple of LED lights in my dome light (pictured below), and a weird thing's happening. If they're turned on with the steering column switch, the lights work fine, but if I use the push-button switch on the dome light housing, they go into a strobe mode, and start flashing. Another thing, they only strobe with the ignition OFF, if I turn it to ACC, it stops the flashing. Does someone know what causes this phenomenon?

On a side note, these lights are 10X better than the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
my guess is more wonderful canbus pulse width modulation
might try either a resistor to mimic a regular bulb or a capacitor to 'carry' it over between pulses

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
So I put a couple of LED lights in my dome light (pictured below), and a weird thing's happening. If they're turned on with the steering column switch, the lights work fine, but if I use the push-button switch on the dome light housing, they go into a strobe mode, and start flashing. Another thing, they only strobe with the ignition OFF, if I turn it to ACC, it stops the flashing. Does someone know what causes this phenomenon?

On a side note, these lights are 10X better than the stock bulbs.
If the stock lights worked, how are these 'better'? :laughing:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
try either a resistor to mimic a regular bulb or a capacitor to 'carry' it over between pulses
Sounds like a lot of work. Perhaps I could incorporate one in the footwell lights I'm planning on doing and link it in that way. Thanks the reply.
If the stock lights worked, how are these 'better'?
They only strobe if the dome-light switch is used with the ignition OFF, otherwise they work OK :shaking:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work. Perhaps I could incorporate one in the footwell lights I'm planning on doing and link it in that way. Thanks the reply.

They only strobe if the dome-light switch is used with the ignition OFF, otherwise they work OK :shaking:
My advise to you is use the inline resistor or put the lights that aren't as expensive or glamorous, but work ALL the time back in. :laughing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not sure where you got the LED's, but my recommendation is go to http://www.oznium.com/ and order their dome lights. I have them in for a few months now, and the work great in all "modes" to turn the lights on. And install couldnt be simpler. Oznium has great products....if its an LED, they carry it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure where you got the LED's, but my recommendation is go to http://www.oznium.com/ and order their dome lights. I have them in for a few months now, and the work great in all "modes" to turn the lights on. And install couldnt be simpler. Oznium has great products....if its an LED, they carry it.
I agree, got all my leds from Oznium

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the ones pictured above at superbrightleds.com. Don't really feel like spending any more money on LEDS (yet), I'll just live with what I got.
The domelight is now way brighter than it was with the incandescent bulbs (114 lumens vs. 20 lumens), and it's a very clear white light. It works when I need it, which isn't very often, so that's good enough for now.

The replies/suggestions are much appreciated ~ Thanks JM

·
Registered
578 Posts
I say trash them and put the OEM bulbs back in. The mods we do on our Jeeps are supposed to make our lives better and easier, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts