JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
When I switch on my headlights they flash around 3-5 times with equal lengths in between flashes.
After it's done flashing they stay off and won't come on.
I've had this happen once before and it was some type of security feature.
I found a thread on some forum, that I can't remember, that gave a sequence to perform to fix this problem, but I can't find it anywhere and I don't remember the sequence.

Does anyone know about this?

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Stock bulbs or aftermarket?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Likely the TIPM sees too much current drawn and cycles off/on a few times for measurement before switching completely off to protect the circuit.
No changes done to the light circuit prior this happening (added aux. light for example)?
Check for possible partial short in the wiring, connectors, sockets or bulbs themselves.
Problems with the TIPM possible
Does it also happen if you switch on the lights with high beams on?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Check codes

1. To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes, simply insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.
2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has any logged in any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s) and check it/them against the list to find out what they mean.
3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged in any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my wifes 10 Rubicon last month. Pulled both battery cables for 30 minutes and everything worked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem fixed itself last time, but it just happened again.
Tried disconnecting the battery twice for over 2 hours, and it didn't fix the problem. :shocked:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I know this is a dumb question, but are you sure they are the stock bulbs?

The feed is pulsed and generally will not operate correctly with higher wattage bulbs.

Might want to check the alternator also, make sure it is working correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure out why this was happening? Same thing is happening to my 2010 JK Unlimmited. Has happened over winter twice so I thought it was just a cold thing... but then it happened again last night and still today light only turn on off on off and nothing...

Im running all stock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It just happened to me last night for first time. It's been very wet and raining past few days, and I haven't driven jeep all week. Maybe moisture is shorting something out???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stopped at O'Reilly's and only part they could find that would cause the issue is the Multi-Function Switch (Part that controls your lights) He looked them up and they were 36.00 however on back-order with no eta when they could come in. He did say this is a good indication that this part fails a lot if they are on back order like this. Found it on RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/ for 26.76 and like 8.00 s/h. Keep in mind there are 2 types for 2010 jeep depending on if you have auto lights or not.

Im going to order mine later this week (payday) and hope this fixs my issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3771351&cc=1444643 - Pin Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 7 4; Number of Electrical Connectors: 2; Mounting Location: Steering Column; Connector Gender: Female Female
w/o Auto Headlights; w/ Fog Lights

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3785940&cc=1444643 - Blade Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 7; 4; Number of Electrical Connectors: 2; Mounting Location: Steering Column; Connector Gender: Female; Female
w/o Fog Lights; Headlight, Dimmer and Turn Signal Switch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok now Im starting to wonder if headlights are your low oil warning? I was really low on oil (thank god for full synthic) and ran to store to buy oil and new filter (was that time anyways)... lights not working.... new oil to proper levels... lights work fine....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2010 JKU. Stock bulbs flashed and won't turn on. Good thing my fog lights work. I have oil ;) Some days they work and some days they don't. When they are working the headlights come on when unlocking the jeep, when they aren't working only the running lights come on.

Anyone solved the problem yet? I'd try the switch but it seems odd that they sometimes work. Is the "draw" sensor in the multi function switch?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am having the same problem with my stock headlights on my 08 Rubi. Both high and low beams quit, factory foglights continue to work. I can not fing any short anywhere. Is there a relay for this system that might be bad??

·
Registered
279 Posts
We unhooked the bulbs and cleaned the connections, 4 days now and they are still working. Fingers crossed that it was just a flakey connection.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Scan for codes with a scanner. There are quite a few "B" codes related to the headlights.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts