JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a rant, a novel rather. NWApache touched it off.

I grew up in Northern Idaho, Hayden to be exact. I started out pulling weeds for an apartment complex when I was 13, so I could get a new bicycle. I bought it, and it was the nicest thing I ever rode. I was proud.

When I turned 14 and started taking drivers ed, my father took me out and gave me the keys to a 77 chevy, two wheel drive. He told me that if I took care of his old farm truck, he would match me and put wheels, tires, and a stereo in it. I had $600 saved up, so we did all of those things. It wasn't anything like the rig I have now, but I was PROUD of this old truck.

I graduated off of that truck, and into a 1991 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. Dad gave it to me, and said if I took care of it, we would get the steering figured out and make it drive like it was new. I failed to take care of it(again, it was given to me), so he took the damn thing back and stuck me with the 77. He took the ol' Dodge, had it fixed up and to set the point of what I missed out on, made me drive it home. I could't believe how well this thing drove. I remember like yesterday on the 15min drive, kicking myself for being a dumbass.

I bought my first Jeep shortly after, and HOLY SHIT I was PROUD of the thing. Didn't exactly treat her nice, but it was mine, I maintained it meticulously, and goddamit I was proud.

After I graduated highschool, I was your typical proud to be American small town farm kid. I looked around at the mountains, the smell of the barn, and how great it was to be where I was. I joined the USCG. Every pushup, every ass chewing, every trip through the obstacle course, every damn fire drill didnt matter because I was serving the Stars and Stripes. I was DAMN PROUD.

I got stationed in Kodiak, AK. An old Navy boat, CGC Alex Haley. She was old, but she was solid. 50' swells she carried us through. I caught shit for joining the Coast Guard, but I did, and still do my job to the BEST of my abilities because I'm fucking proud of what I do.

Notice a recurring theme here?

I transferred to Seattle, WA earlier this year and started to see what my small town living had covered up. I'm a minority. I believe in the Founding Fathers' principles, small government sourcing its power FROM the governed. This country has a severe lack of pride in itself. Hell, anyone that does gets shit on by the majority that don't. It was given to the people, by the fathers, and now, like a spoiled teenager, we are running it hard, not changing the oil, and laughing at Dad when he tells us how dissapointed he is.

Now the engine is knocking, we keep dumping seafoam in it to shut it up, and like the simple minded liberals around, think that we fixed the problem.

I tell ya, I am more concerned every day, that the filter is going to cake over, and we are going to lose oil pressure.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
:beer:Well said.....

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
That is so old fashioned! Where have you been? Don't you know now that hard work, achievement, success and PRIDE are frowned upon, nothing to be PROUD of. You are a greedy and selfish bastard and you will be punished until you too understand that more and more people, every day, want what you have but feel you should share so they can have an easier life.

Shame, isn't it. But no one will ever take your great upbringing from you so celebrate and continue to achieve and enjoy your life! :)

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Well said :beer:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Well said, and I share your sentiments fully.

One thing to correct though. You're not a minority. No one is a minority. You are an American. And an obviously proud and responsible one. Props. :beer:

I feel your pain about Seattle. That is the misanthrope capital of the country - when I'm there I'm sometimes surprised it can function in any meaningful way.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I kept meaning to click this link earlier today and failed to, glad I got the chance. Excellent analogy to the problem we face, but more importantly, our children. I feel a heavy heart and anguish over the shit show that will be facing the youngest Americans who are just leaving toddlerdom to become aware little humans and realize that what their parents are trying so desperately to hold onto is forcing them into a minority of mindset. I shudder to envision what my two kids will be facing at the time when they are my age. The struggle they will see using the remaining values from a set of principles long since forgotten and replaced by entitlement, expectation, and loss of courtesy from their peers.

My kids are being raised to speak with manners, known their place, and remain respectful of authority. Most of their classmates are as well, however, I see first hand what they will be dealing with once they leave the confines of their proper education and realize the real world is full of aggressive, entitled, shitfaced thugs that would assume step on their back to get a free TV at WalMart than say hello to them. I have already decided that I need to start preparing them for the reality as soon as I think they can handle it.

How can you have pride in your Family and Children when you are always looking for the easy way out and a handout. There is a lot of good people in this world still, but, so many more assholes degrading this race of humans...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for all the beer. Living in this dogshit town really puts it to good use! I watched a man buy two twix bars with food stamps at KMart yesterday. Its a damn shame, had I said something, i'd be the bad guy. Sad day when hard work and some patriotism in the Red White and Blue makes you the nutjob.

I'm trying to keep a positive light on this, and know that when I have kids I will teach them all the good I learned growing up.

As far as respecting autority goes, if the laws are for the good of the people of course. Speak softly and carry a big stick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts