JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share their experience/ photos with a Premier Power Welder on a JK?

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bump...I wanna see some install pictures i'm thinking of doing the power welder, and probably the kilby OBA kit. I already have dual batteries so room is tight. Lets see what you guys got goin

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I carry a Ready Welder, MIG (flux or gas) welding from a portable unit. Works very well, single pass 1/2", and as it's portable all you need is a couple of batteries to get it to work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i have Power Premire and have alternator problems, on my 2nd one and now I have to carry a rebuilt. If you drive in dust it likely will quit.

IMHO get the battery powered hobart, don't go down the road of rewiring and new alternator.

I am not a happy customer and tell you the product is a bad POS. My message to them :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
i have Power Premire and have alternator problems, on my 2nd one and now I have to carry a rebuilt. If you drive in dust it likely will quit.

IMHO get the battery powered hobart, don't go down the road of rewiring and new alternator.

I am not a happy customer and tell you the product is a bad POS. My message to them :thefinger:
Ouch, by the way, how did your meeting go in Fullerton go this week?:innocent:

·
Registered
366 Posts

you must have crappy luck then, the one on my old 06 TJ is daily drivin by a truck driver that bought it from me that works for me and it hasn't failed yet not even a regulator issue and he wheels the piss out of it...

·
Registered
366 Posts
It was shown on JKOwners TV episode... 29:20

http://www.jkowners.com/tv/7.php
ah thankyou I"ll have to watch when I get a free minute.
I carry a Ready Welder, MIG (flux or gas) welding from a portable unit. Works very well, single pass 1/2", and as it's portable all you need is a couple of batteries to get it to work.
I keep a ready welder right now and it works great, its just my batteries are a pain in the butt to get out and it seems like i'm always welding on toyota's :shaking: I thought it would be bitchen to be able to run the gun off of the power welder for the ultimate setup

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dragging up the dead

So after 10 years there is still not a lot of good info. I found 1 JK specific video with a homemade mounting bracket.

I have pieced together the main parts from my old welder from the 90s that was in my MJ.

I scored a used Premier Welder JK alternator that came from a theft recovery.

I need to order new updated heavy duty voltage regulator and maybe JK specific bracket. I have emailed the company but no answer. Does anyone have more details or pictures of install or bracket?

I have original instructions and I think I have all the info I need for installation beside bracket and mounting location for control box.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
So after 10 years there is still not a lot of good info. I found 1 JK specific video with a homemade mounting bracket.

I have pieced together the main parts from my old welder from the 90s that was in my MJ.

I scored a used Premier Welder JK alternator that came from a theft recovery.

I need to order new updated heavy duty voltage regulator and maybe JK specific bracket. I have emailed the company but no answer. Does anyone have more details or pictures of install or bracket?

I have original instructions and I think I have all the info I need for installation beside bracket and mounting location for control box.

you saw their "Instructions" page?, I guess There's a couple pix of the necessary bracket for a JK in it.

I've never seen a red model like that. pretty cool.

·
Registered
242 Posts
you saw their "Instructions" page?, I guess There's a couple pix of the necessary bracket for a JK in it.

I've never seen a red model like that. pretty cool.
I saw those pictures, I was actually hoping to see the bracket by itself. I was just trying to figure if it was easy enough to duplicate or was worth whatever their price is. Although I still have a welder, I no longer have a garage or my old fab tools.

Technically, the box is a "Link-Arc" brand. I think that was the original company.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
I saw those pictures, I was actually hoping to see the bracket by itself. I was just trying to figure if it was easy enough to duplicate or was worth whatever their price is. Although I still have a welder, I no longer have a garage or my old fab tools.

Technically, the box is a "Link-Arc" brand. I think that was the original company.
I would phone the company. Under present conditions , you maybe not having anyone capable of answering technical or product support because there may not be anyone checking that inbox , if it's on some pc in an office that's closed right now, yeah?

when you come up with a solution, post pict here , cool?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would phone the company. Under present conditions , you maybe not having anyone capable of answering technical or product support because there may not be anyone checking that inbox , if it's on some pc in an office that's closed right now, yeah?

when you come up with a solution, post pict here , cool?
So i took your advice and called them. They were very helpful on the phone. So the bracket is Vaporware and they don't sell one. They say my parts should work well together. I ordered the new heavy duty voltage regulator because that was a problem with my old system. I would burn through them every once in a while.

I'm looking at using one of the under hood air compressor brackets; I am hoping that the EVO kit that mounts the compressor right above the brake vacuum booster will work vs the bracket that puts the compressor to the inside of the master cylinder. I would prefer to keep as much heat away from the control box.

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p

·
Registered
242 Posts
making progress

I have the box mounted, I hope to have the wiring and alternator mounted this weekend. I also need to clean up the cuts I made in the hood. The EVO air compressor bracket worked for me and I beleive if anyone has the newer blue control box they would have to cut the hood for clearance.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
meta cool

you'll never want friends on the trails if you're equipped with an on board welding option ,ha

glad it worked out for ya & it looks well placed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts