JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface - Venting because this is stupid

So I get the postcard saying that my jeep is due for the five year powertrain warranty. OK. I've got the thing lifted and extensively modded but the powertrain is basically stock. I've read here of people in a similar mod situation doing the powertrain inspection and everything was a-ok. So I figure what the heck, I'll schedule the thing in and do it.

I drop it off Friday night and Saturday morning I get a call saying "Mr. Ipe, your front pinion seal is weeping so we need to replace that to continue the inspection." I say ok.

Half hour later I get a call saying that they had to stop the inspection because no matter what I'd fail the inspection. Reasoning: The jeep is lifted and has aftermarket driveshafts.

I counter with the Moss-Magnuson warranty act and that I have every right to replace worn items with aftermarkt vs. factory. Nope. The aftermarket is not certified by the factory so therefor it fails. :shaking:

To add insult to injury the check engine light came on out of the blue 10 miles after leaving the dealership. Nice....

FWIW - the dealership is Lawless Jeep in Woburn Ma. Yes, I know, the name should have been a giveaway. PITA. :shaking: x2

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Sucks...but did you change the yoke on the pinion when you changed the driveshaft? Honestly, I'd expect warranty not to cover doing that. Nor would they warranty the gear setup due to possibly over-tightening or under-tightening the pinion nut. Sucks, but changing driveshafts and expecting the factory warranty on the drivetrain isn't really a cut and dry mod like lifting the Jeep.

..regardless, if it's been wheeled or lifted, I'd expect Jeep to get out of everything they could.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks...but did you change the yoke on the pinion when you changed the driveshaft? Honestly, I'd expect warranty not to cover doing that. Nor would they warranty the gear setup due to possibly over-tightening or under-tightening the pinion nut. Sucks, but changing driveshafts and expecting the factory warranty on the drivetrain isn't really a cut and dry mod like lifting the Jeep.

..regardless, if it's been wheeled or lifted, I'd expect Jeep to get out of everything they could.
Agreed on basically all of the above. FWIW - I basically only wanted the warranty from the transfer case to the engine. None of the rest of it is their's anyway.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Agreed on basically all of the above. FWIW - I basically only wanted the warranty from the transfer case to the engine. None of the rest of it is their's anyway.
I hear ya. Engine/trans/tcase would be nice, none of that's been jacked with on mine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry to hear that man! Only thing I have left under powertrain warranty are my rear axle seals, transmission, driveshafts and block....my dealership hasn't given me any grief yet for the ARBs and 5.13s....luckily.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I may try again at a different stealership, I've got to deal with this CEL after all....
Might be worth a shot but most likely it'll be marked on their records that you've been denied before.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I may try again at a different stealership, I've got to deal with this CEL after all....
go to natick. i had similar luck as you at the dealership in watertown, and one of the guys I wheel with mentioned his sister works in service at natick, and theyll actually work on modified rigs

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm fucked on the engine warranty.
had to grind some of the oilpan skirt to fit the abortion of an oilpan; benchmark crawler pan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts