JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all what size powertanks are you using i am wanting to get this setup but was not sure what size to get. Currently i am running 35" tires but i am wanting to go to 38"s when these wear out thx :gluging:

· Registered
1,497 Posts
don't waste your money on a power tank.....i built my own set up for under $140.00. Go to your local Fire Equipment Safety store and by a 20lb extinguisher that has been reconditioned with a CGA-320 valve ( approx $90.00 filled and certified for 5 years ), search on line for cheapest 150 psi fixed regulator ( got mine for $40.00 ) and harbour freight for a hose and Tire chuck. Works fast and like a champ!

· Registered
2,707 Posts
OR get what you want.

I have a powertank. I found a deal I could not pass up. I love the thing!

I have a 10#. The only difference between 5# and 10# is the height.

· Registered
2,445 Posts
OR get what you want.

I have a powertank. I found a deal I could not pass up. I love the thing!

I have a 10#. The only difference between 5# and 10# is the height.
and 5#s of co2:thefinger:

· Registered
406 Posts
I bought my 10# PT when I had 35's. I was able to increase the pressure in all 4 tires from 10# to 28# 3-4 times on one bottle. I now have 37's and only get 2 fills. My $.02, get a 20# bottle - I'm jumping to 40's next time around and the 10# bottle will no longer be cost effective.

The 20# bottle is huge, so figure out where you are going to mount it before you pull the trigger. The 10# bottle fits on my rear roll bar on the PT mount, but there's no way the 20# would fit there (I have a 2 door). I also pulled the rear seat a while ago - the tank wouldn't fit on the roll bar if the seat was still there.

JD

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Go 20#. I've ran one for three years in a 2dr without it being a problem when loaded up for trails.

· Registered
2,707 Posts
I bought my 10# PT when I had 35's. I was able to increase the pressure in all 4 tires from 10# to 28# 3-4 times on one bottle. I now have 37's and only get 2 fills. My $.02, get a 20# bottle - I'm jumping to 40's next time around and the 10# bottle will no longer be cost effective.

The 20# bottle is huge, so figure out where you are going to mount it before you pull the trigger. The 10# bottle fits on my rear roll bar on the PT mount, but there's no way the 20# would fit there (I have a 2 door). I also pulled the rear seat a while ago - the tank wouldn't fit on the roll bar if the seat was still there.

JD
Somethings not right. I have 37s and can do many more fills than that from 12 or 14 to 28 or 30.

I think PT has a graph on their website where you can compate # of fills by tank and tire size.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Somethings not right. I have 37s and can do many more fills than that from 12 or 14 to 28 or 30.

I think PT has a graph on their website where you can compate # of fills by tank and tire size.
His initial numbers are close. Powertank says you can get ~16 20psi fills with 35s and a 10# tank. He'd get ~13, 37" 20psi fills . [17" rim]. I'd get about 4 fills with my 20# tank with 37s and a 22psi increase.

· Registered
2,445 Posts

JD
is that co2 or compressed air? doesnt sound right

· Registered
406 Posts
is that co2 or compressed air? doesnt sound right
That's with CO2. I've seen the graph also, and just assumed that they were being a little generous with the numbers. The last time I had it filled was at a different shop than where I normally go - it's entirely possible that they didn't do a complete fill. I have the "dry" weight written on the bottle, but never weighed it after they filled it. Either way, if I get a new bottle, it will be a 20.

JD

· Registered
2,707 Posts
I have to make sure they fill it all the way. I also have the dry weight on mine. It's more complicated than you think. I believe they put it in as a gas and then it returns to a liquid state so if they don't wait while filling it up, they say it's full but it's full of gas whuch later condenses and leaves room for more co2. I think..................................

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
What the hell is up with this forum. Now I had a gun in my mouth pic and now it's gone Ever since Lance sold it this place sucks
Um... in this thread? because I don't see that any pics of yours have been deleted nor do I see where any posts were edited.

No admin or mod would screw with your pics here anyway. Would have to be a pretty fucked up pic for that to happen.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
What the hell is up with this forum. Now I had a gun in my mouth pic and now it's gone Ever since Lance sold it this place sucks
What? :suicide:

· Registered
62 Posts
i have the 10# can air up 4-5 times (33's) and use the occasional power tool. I live in a town house, so i use it as a compressor for die grinders, impact gun, ect. i have found the longer the hose, the more efficient. the more time the co2 has to warm up, the less moisture you get. i run a 25 foot air line instead of the coil hose that came with it.

that being said. IMO the power tank regulator is worth the money. Buy that and do an "exchange" program with your local gas supplier. no headache when you forget to fill before a trip. i ended up turning in my powertank under the exchange program when it was due for hydrotesting.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have had a 10lb powertank for a couple of years and it works very well. I bought it because I have an unlimited supply of CO2 at work. If I didn't have that, I would have gone with an OBA. Costs are comparable in the long term.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.