JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a brand new Rubicon 2 door, and want to put my Powertank in it someplace that I can get to it, but that won't interfere with the back seat, little trunk dealio, etc. I put it in the under-trunk, but the cover sticks out, and I didn't want to screw it to the muffler, so it just sits there, waiting to become a missile hazard if things go bad (see my Pirate thread for my definition of things going bad). http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504561

Where have others put Powertanks that fit well?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Not sure how you feel about it, but a lot of people are mounting it to the roll bar. I've seen this mostly on the 4 door, but I'm pretty sure, you can do it on the 2 door as well. I know you don't want to do many mods to the JK, but there's always the option to mount it on an after market tire carrier also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where on the roll bar? If i mount it in the back, say on the left corner, it seems to make the most sense in terms of ease of use. It may get in the way of the light plug, though. How are folks attatching it? I thought of hose clamps, but taht could look a bit tacky in my pretty new Jeep:laughing:

I do know that the floor is pretty much out, as it will interfere with the little trunk dealio.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Where on the roll bar? If i mount it in the back, say on the left corner, it seems to make the most sense in terms of ease of use. It may get in the way of the light plug, though. How are folks attatching it? I thought of hose clamps, but taht could look a bit tacky in my pretty new Jeep:laughing:

I do know that the floor is pretty much out, as it will interfere with the little trunk dealio.
Here's an interesting idea.

As far as mounting it to the roll bar goes, Power Tank and the others make clamps that you can use to attach it. They look stout.

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/products/553.html

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
I mounted mine on the passenger side rear roll bar, using ratchet straps so it's easy to put in and take out. You can't put the top down with it there tho.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great ideas, thanks. I tried the roll bar mount, it didn't clear the hard top. Since it is a daily driver in 100+ weather for the next four months, the hard top is staying on. Yeah, I know, not too studly there, but I have to look presentable at work - same reason a Harley is out.

I like the tailgate mount, except for the drilling :laughing: I may try strapping it to the front of the rear downcomer tube with the seat laid forward. I'll have to move the seat to get the tank out and use it, but it won't hit me in the head, and won't block my view when passing potato pickers and carrot trucks.:beer:

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
Great ideas, thanks. I tried the roll bar mount, it didn't clear the hard top. Since it is a daily driver in 100+ weather for the next four months, the hard top is staying on. Yeah, I know, not too studly there, but I have to look presentable at work - same reason a Harley is out.

I like the tailgate mount, except for the drilling :laughing: I may try strapping it to the front of the rear downcomer tube with the seat laid forward. I'll have to move the seat to get the tank out and use it, but it won't hit me in the head, and won't block my view when passing potato pickers and carrot trucks.:beer:
How big is your tank? I had a 10lb'er back there with my hardtop and had zero problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe the power tank has to be upright when using it.....however, you can store it horizontally and then remove it when need. Its kind of a hassle though. Has anyone mounted the tank upright on the tailgate?

FAQ
"...the Power Cylinder must be upright or at least at a 30-degree upright angle while being used. The reason the Power Cylinder must be upright during use is because you want the liquid at the bottom and the vapor at the top coming through the regulator. We recommend that you mount your Power Tank in a vertical fashion so that it does not need to be removed from the Power Bracket during use."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine's a ten-pounder, it just barely didn't fit between the roll bar tube and the hardtop. I'm going to try in front of the tube.

A

·
0 Posts
Mine's a ten-pounder, it just barely didn't fit between the roll bar tube and the hardtop. I'm going to try in front of the tube.
This is where I put my 10 pounder. The problem with the roll bar is with the soft top mounts, they won’t fit so you can’t use the OEM soft top. It’s not a concern for me since I have an Off Road Heroes top.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That might work. I tried taking off the mount and strapping it directly to the roll bar, that didn't fit well, and the straps slipped off before i could get it tight.

I don't have soft top worries, but the hard top is in the way sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts