JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new PSC system right now and made an interesting observation that I would like to share. Sorry for the less than clear pictures.

The OEM pump uses a 6 inch serpentine pulley:

The PSC Replacement pump uses a 5 inch serpentine pulley:

And here are the idler pulley differences:

I was thinking, if someone that upgraded to 35's, or maybe 37's?, or just had a stocker and wanted a little extra idle, to off idle steering performance this might be a sweet and cheap mod. I am going to try to source the smaller P/S pulley. Maybe someone can step up to be a guinea pig in the name of science?

I don't see any damage that it could cause a stock system, as it is just spinning the pump faster, and it should be noticeable at 750-1250 RPM's.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Idler: DAYCO #231081
P/S Pulley:

I will have the P/S pulley hunted down by tomorrow.

So far it looks like a $30.00 mod.

Anyone with a gear box mod/ram assist add-on, this would be a nice little kick.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ill be watching this one... It would be cool to upgrade the steering ability with just the change of a pulley... Might be a dumb question, but, this one inch in difference would be able to be tightened in with the tensioner right? Wouldnt have to get a different size belt or any thing?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once you break it it's just hard to get it off
How did you finally remove the pulley/broken hub? Oh, and you were using a p/s pulley tool, right? I have my stock OEM pump, I am going to try to remove the pulley to better understand this issue.

I should have the P/S Part # today.

The factory belt is used, you just have to replace the OEM P/S Pulley and Idler (as previously mentioned).

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
How did you finally remove the pulley/broken hub? Oh, and you were using a p/s pulley tool, right? I have my stock OEM pump, I am going to try to remove the pulley to better understand this issue.

I should have the P/S Part # today.

The factory belt is used, you just have to replace the OEM P/S Pulley and Idler (as previously mentioned).
we didn't, i have it sitting here. we put a PSC system on lol.

if you don't want to deal with the idler pulley you can take the stock belt PN and go down a step to a shorter belt. you just use the last 2 numbers on the belt. It's no big deal, any parts store should be able to do it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
we didn't, i have it sitting here. we put a PSC system on lol.

if you don't want to deal with the idler pulley you can take the stock belt PN and go down a step to a shorter belt. you just use the last 2 numbers on the belt. It's no big deal, any parts store should be able to do it.
Any luck getting that P/S pulley p/n?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am bringing this back from the dead... I have a crack in my power steering pulley and thought if I need to replace it I might as well upgrade it... I am also running an assist ram. The part number for a pulley that is 5 inches across that will press onto my factory pump would be very helpful.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
This looks to be a total waste of time and effort as all you do is increase flow. PSC does this due to the fact they are moving more oil to feel the steering ram as well as the steering gear. Increasing flow to just the factory box really does nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts