JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody believe the hype in these bracelets?

a coworker had one on, so i was making fun of him....he said...here I'll prove it. Stand on one leg and try to stay balanced. He pushed me over very easily. He then said "Put on my bracelet and lets try it again." It was a lot harder for him to knock me over.

I'm convinced...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i wear one similar to that when not in uniform. im convinced. it may just be the placebo effect, but hell, if thats what it takes im fine with that...

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Bunch of crap.

1. Did you know the guy was going to push you over before he did? 2nd time you were probably ready for it.

2. It most likely works on the same principle as motion sickness wrist bands that they sell for boaters. Sea-band

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bunch of crap.

1. Did you know the guy was going to push you over before he did? 2nd time you were probably ready for it.

2. It most likely works on the same principle as motion sickness wrist bands that they sell for boaters. Sea-band
Yes, i was trying to stand up and not get knocked over. I knew what this was leading too. I was waiting to say "See, I proved you wrong...it doesn't work!" well....it did work...now what?

I still somewhat believe in the placebo effect, but dang it... it worked.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
I believe that they work. How? I have no fricken clue.

Have you ever done the trick where you get the biggest guy in the room to sit in a chair and make everyone use two fingers to lift them?

Try this....

YouTube - ‪Lifting Junior with only two fingers‬‏

You don't' have to touch each other's hands either. Works every time, without fail, no matter who you use. Crazy stuff man. The mind is a powerful thing.

Marcus

·
Registered
767 Posts
Explanation #1:
Placebo Effect – Because none of the demonstrations include a double-blind test, the placebo effect has not been ruled out. In fact, the placebo effect is likely to play a large part in how the bracelets affect performance on these balance tests. If the participant expects to feel stronger, he or she will actually become stronger. Likewise, if the tester expects the participant to be more difficult to topple, the tester finds it harder to make them lose balance.

Explanation #2:
Test-retest – The demonstrations usually subject the participants to balance tests they have never done before, so it is reasonable to assume that during the second trial they will have more knowledge of the test and be able to perform better – regardless of whether or not they have a bracelet.

Explanation #3:
Deception – Let’s not rule out the possibility that the tester is using his knowledge of the trick to intentionally fool the participant. If you watch any of the commercials, notice how the angle of force provided by the salesman is either pulling away or pushing toward the participant. Also notice how this results in a different angle of pull on the participant. Without knowledge of the actual force applied, it is still easy to see how the application of force at different angles could influence whether or not the participant loses his balance.

It's The Angle and Dangle

·
Registered
211 Posts
Remember the Q-Ray? There was a big class action against them; they paid out a lot of $$.

It's all snake oil; save your money.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's the power of suggestion. I'm currently in the middle of a 6 month test to prove that these bracelets are bogus. The test originally worked on me, as I knew it would, so I've been wearing the bracelet for 6 months straight to allow my body and mind to adjust to it. In June I am going to prove that once your mind is accustomed to the band that it has no effect.

There have been many studies done using the power of suggestion with much better tests than "Let me pull on your arm twice" Don't be fooled by lame bar tricks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I believe that they work. How? I have no fricken clue.

Have you ever done the trick where you get the biggest guy in the room to sit in a chair and make everyone use two fingers to lift them?

Try this....

You don't' have to touch each other's hands either. Works every time, without fail, no matter who you use. Crazy stuff man. The mind is a powerful thing.

Marcus
I thought i was the only one that knew about this

1 - 20 of 34 Posts