JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a gadget head, in a bug way. I am in the process of adding power goodies to my JK, and I noticed that the fuse block is under the hood - I am not crazy about routing wiring through the firewall if I can help it, so I was thinking about the following:

I want to pick up 3 power bulkheads, one for negative, one for switched power, one for batt power. Run these through the bulkheads (they require a 1 1/4" hole per, but have a stud on both sides, so there is no leakage and no chance of chaffing and grounding out) from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. Then, I have a fuse block that is 1/2 and 1/2 - make one half switched and the other have always on. The ground bulkhead is for a direct run from my power inverter to both the positive and negative terminals. Under the hood I would use a relay that I would be able to do switched power from the battery as well.

This is obviously a short version of what I am up to, but the short version is this - everything has a fuse, gets as clean of power is possible, and is not likely to fray, short, etc.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Most of what will be going through this setup will be accessories (backup lights, light bar, power mods, etc).

Comments welcome,

Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Someone on here as done something very similar. Let me see if I can find it.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
instead of running three wires couldn't you run just a single "hot" wire then use relays for the switched power?

YOu can also find good ground locations inside the cab. I belive there is a ground stud somewhere in the passenger foot well.

Might help make your setup a little cleaner

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info - I thought of that after I posted and actually started diagramming it out - it was definately a forehead slapper... There is a stud roght in the footwell where I have started attaching already - I was thinking the dedicated ground stud just for the ac converter, but I doubt that matters much in the long run...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts