JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've searched but haven't found an answer to this situation...

Here is the situation... I have a 2011 JK (2door), purchased as a salvage title and it has deployed airbags. While there is an obvious safety concern not having airbags, the vehicle is not a daily driver, and is not driven on the highway, no kids, etc. However, i have moved to a new state, and i have to get it re-registered to be able to use it at all. To pass safety inspection, there can be no fault codes on the computer, and no dash lights can be on.

Is there anyway to trick the computer into bypassing the airbag sensors and clearing the code/light, even if its only temporary?

I would like to replace the parts down the road, searching online I've found drivers side airbags for ~$350, module for ~$100, passenger side bag for $?, and i assume there are sensors up front that would need to be replaced as well.

My other issue is there are no tire pressure sensors installed, but it seems like some aftermarket chips allow you bypass those sensors to clear the low tire pressure fault code as well. Any other bypass suggestions?

Thanks for any insight. Again, disclaimer, I am not trying to band aid the problem to sell the jeep, and i fully intend to properly repair it asap, but funds do not allow me to take it to a dealer. My state can charge up to $1000 for lapsed registration, so trying to avoid that. Mods, feel free to delete this post if I am crossing a line regarding safety.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
You can jump a resistor between the airbag wires to make the computer think all is well. You'll have to search for what Ohm resistor to use as I don't remember what I read.

How involved is the safety inspection? I'm sure you can tell that the bags have deployed.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
get back behind the dash w a can of 'Night Shadez' lens smoking spraypaint and smoke out the warning indicators unless they connect an ODB2 scanner up to it ( I can't imagine they do more than emmisskons and a look at the dash for indicators ,correct?)

I feel dirty & illegal-like like a ho must feel recommending this type of stuff. I kinda like it. :grinpimp:

:jeep2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The safety inspection wasn't too involved. They took my word for it that the airbags were there even though the indicator light was on (at the time, i thought it had replacement airbags, it didnt).
Unfortunately, they did hook it up to the computer and look for error codes, so painting/removing the bulb wont work (that was first plan, lol).

If i were to bypass the two front airbags, would i still need to replace the airbag sensor module? I wonder if it holds a code that tells the computer the bags deployed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts