JKOwners Forum banner

Possible move to Seattle/Bellevue area

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  da20captain 
#1 ·
Possible job in the Arlington, WA area. Any info, advice, cost of living. It's 3000 miles away from all family. I hear the cost of living and daycare is pretty dam exp. my wife is ready to go, but it was her idea to live where she doesn't want to live now. We are used to lots of sun, i know that may be differentup there. So advise away! Thanks

#2 ·
I visit these parts about twice a year. I can give you my comparison based on my experience in GA and Texas. It seems like everything is more expensive up here, which is why we only visit. However, the area is beautiful, always green, lots of trees, lots of stuff to do.

#6 ·
We drove from Kirkland to Marysville on Saturday took over an hour. Traffic is nuts most of the time.

#7 ·
With all honesty to what the others have said, is true. Though I love it here. If your getting a job in the Arlington area, look around there for something. Redmond, Bellevue, Seattle, any of that area also know as "King County" is expensive. Farther North is less, so is farther south. I live in Olympia, the capital, and I enjoy it here. Couple hours from the Ocean, Couple hours from the Mountains. Weather wise we get about 3 weeks of "summer" some times a bit more. People wine and moan when it gets too hot (80's) but it never gets much more then that. Rain is common here, so it can be pretty gray for most of the winter. But snow is not too common, and when it does, any thing over 1in seems to shut every thing down. Arlington has the sound, and the San Juan Islands to visit, which are very nice. Traffic can suck in the bigger towns, but in all, its worth it. Great state to live in, people are usually kinda nice, but A-holes too. Lots of great wheeling spots too. Cost of living can be a bit higher, but our Minimum wage is higher too, something around $9.50 or more maybe now...

#8 ·
Washington is a great state to live in.....for awhile. The scenery is spectacular, alpine forests, lakes, islands, volcanos, desert prairies, green everywhere. Canada is a weekend drive, fishing and hunting are off the charts and its an open carry, shall issue state. Also, no income tax, sales tax is right around 10%, wages are good, and crime is low.
Now, for the bad news: real estate and rents are not pretty. Weather goes something like this jan-may wet, dark and cold....June-sept amazing, sunny, warm (with occasional showers) oct-dec-wet, dark and cold.
Arlington is fairly rural about 65 miles north of metro Seattle. Closest city is Everett, about 20 miles south of you. Snohomish county, as a whole, is made up of small to medium towns that spread over a large geographical area. Standards of living ie household income is lower in that county and of course....traffic sucks everywhere.

#9 ·
If the job is in Arlington, it's pretty easy to get decent home prices and land just a bit north of it.

Marysville just to the south of Arlington is where the traffic really brings the suck. Also Smokey Point can get pretty clogged up on surface streets. I reverse commute on I-5, so I'm heading north when everybody heads south, and vice versa.

Sometimes we do go a couple months without seeing the sun. But, I've had the top off the Jeep for over a week straight now!

If you have any questions or help, let me know. I drive past Arlington every day on my commute from Everett to Ferndale.

Daren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.