JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all goes well, I will be working in Galveston over on Pelican Island. I'm looking at rental property. Only need 1 bdrm for now or studio, just something cheap to start out in but don't want a bad area where I have to worry about my Jeep or break ins.

Any suggested areas I should look into, I don't want to use ferry every day for commute.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Galveston is a little different than most communities because its an island. The good and bad parts of town are side by side...literally on top of one another in some locations.

I had great luck at The Yacht Basin/ Port Aux Princess Condos. Also..the Fish Village area (same area) is pretty safe and there are usually a small handful of avail rentals.

Downtown gets a little dicey. There are great areas of downtown and some REALLY bad parts. Be cautious of the areas between 10th st. down to about 45th st. on the Seawall side. Some nice areas in there....but some real bad ones.

Avoid anything on the Bay side of Broadway IMO. UTMB area isn't as bad...but still.

61st street and west of that.. has some really great rentals towards the Seawall. Moody Gardens is also in there. Some safe areas/ schools here.

Give me some specific apts, condos, addresses, etc...and I can give you some more help.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow Stub, great info. I'll be there for 2 or 3 days about first week of Jan for a meeting, then I'll be checking some spots in person. But your info gives me a great start

Once I get some areas or places in mind, I'll let you know, I can be a litle picky and willing to pay slightly more to be in a safer area, but still will have to budget since this will be new job

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
I can't help much in terms of where to live now but I spent quite a bit of time off of 24th street in my early 20s. This was about 10 years ago now, but it was a lot of fun being down there and I think you'll like it.

My folks have a place just across the ferry in Crystal Beach so I'll have to get with you when we go down there next spring! Beer:30! :D

Good luck with your move!

marcus

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't help much in terms of where to live now but I spent quite a bit of time off of 24th street in my early 20s. This was about 10 years ago now, but it was a lot of fun being down there and I think you'll like it.

My folks have a place just across the ferry in Crystal Beach so I'll have to get with you when we go down there next spring! Beer:30! :D

Good luck with your move!

marcus
Thanks Marcus, yea beer sounds good to me! Man this is going to make shipping much easier from you for in stock product. BTW, Jeep is done, love the tires and the RK lift!! I'll get ya some pics soon, thanks for all your help with the ordering:beer:

This is happening fast, applied last week, skype interview today, then I'm headed over there from Florida beginning of Jan, then if I get it, will have to move by mid Jan.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Really depends on how much money you have to throw at it. There is a huge new condo right on the beach at the end of the sea wall. I personally would stay on the west end towards pirates beach or back off 8 mile/sportsman road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I'm trying to get sent down there for a Suphur Experts course for work. What to do while down there? It's the same cost as going in Canada. Not trying to highjack your thread, just up late.
Strand district
East Beach (be careful on Sundays...haha)
Pier fishing
Inshore charters/ offshore charters
West Beach/ 18 Mile/ San Louis Pass
Seawall for Spring Break/ T&A
Summer concerts in the park (pretty gay)
Air Show- annual ( Lone Star Flight Museum/ Scholes Field)
Seawolf Park
Historic Homes Tour
The Elissa
Mardi Gras
Dickens on the Strand- Christmas
Moody Mansion
Bishops Palace
Galveston Island State Park
Bolivar Ferry- to Crystal Beach
Moody Gardens
Some GREAT places to eat- seafood, Greek, Italian, etc.

*** and Plenty of crack whores in the evening

Just off the top of my head. Not even sure if all of those options even exist now...but check with the Visitors Bureau.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Thanks,
When we did the Amine Experts course in Kananaskis in Alberta there was an older Process Engineer fellow from Galvaston up for that. You guys had some crazy ass storms down there then (Sept 09)
I went through at least 4 tropical depressions and 2 hurricanes. We evacuated for Hurricane Rita which did a lot of damage throughout east Texas/ Louisiana.

We moved after Rita, and then Ike came to town. I thank God that I was completely off the island by then. It's still not the same down there. Ike really messed that place up.

Still beautiful and lots to do though. I miss those early mornings....hitting the bay in my kayak for redfish and flounder.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made it through the Skype interview and phone calls. I should be flying in Thursday 12th to meet and greet type of thing. I should have the final official word Friday I'm hoping. They are paying for the flight, hotel, and rental car so I'd say they are serious about hiring me.
Really depends on how much money you have to throw at it. There is a huge new condo right on the beach at the end of the sea wall. I personally would stay on the west end towards pirates beach or back off 8 mile/sportsman road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info, I have been checking out condos along he Seawall area. Id like to pay out no more than $900 which it looks like for a single guy should be no problem for a good 1 or 2 bed condo.

I'm trying to get sent down there for a Suphur Experts course for work. What to do while down there? It's the same cost as going in Canada. Not trying to highjack your thread, just up late.
no worries on the highjack. If someone else can get some good info from my thread, then go ahead and ask away

I went through at least 4 tropical depressions and 2 hurricanes. We evacuated for Hurricane Rita which did a lot of damage throughout east Texas/ Louisiana.

We moved after Rita, and then Ike came to town. I thank God that I was completely off the island by then. It's still not the same down there. Ike really messed that place up.

Still beautiful and lots to do though. I miss those early mornings....hitting the bay in my kayak for redfish and flounder.

:beer:
Ohhh I remember Rita and Gustav. I rode out Gustav offshore on 150f boat. 35ft seas was well.... freakin scary! I'm having to be a litle picky since there still damage from Ike. I like the adds that say "no flood damage" but then everything they list is brand spankin new. I'll be meeting wth an agent who has already sent me some listings so we will see. If everything moves forward then I should be moving in next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for all the input:beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the few places I'm looking into, Broadwater off of Central City Blvd, The Seasons located between 81st and 83rd, Club of Isle on Cove View, and some other smaller places around 61st. I'll check out also what's around Pirates Beach too.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the job. I have 1 week to move. Still looking for a place but the list is narrowing. I should be moving there about Jan. 20th

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
the few places I'm looking into, Broadwater off of Central City Blvd, The Seasons located between 81st and 83rd, Club of Isle on Cove View, and some other smaller places around 61st. I'll check out also what's around Pirates Beach too.

Congratulations! :beer:

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT move to the Broadwater.

I lived at the Seasons for about a year. I liked it a lot but it might be a little $$$ these days...no idea. It's pretty convenient to jump on Seawall or 61st street and be able to make it to the east end if you need.

Spring and summer months living on the Seawall (..The Seasons included)...is kinda crazy. Spring Break, Mardi Gras, 4th of July, etc....becomes VERY congested up there...but you can always get around the back streets once you know the island a little better.

Random thought: Whatever you own that CAN rust but is still not rusted...will become completely oxidized withing a few weeks, living on the Seawall. The salt air will wreak havoc on metals (anywhere on the coast...but even more-so on the beach-front). Just be sure to bring the WD-40 and PB Blaster! lol

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I lived at the Seasons for about a year. I liked it a lot but it might be a little $$$ these days...no idea. It's pretty convenient to jump on Seawall or 61st street and be able to make it to the east end if you need.

Spring and summer months living on the Seawall (..The Seasons included)...is kinda crazy. Spring Break, Mardi Gras, 4th of July, etc....becomes VERY congested up there...but you can always get around the back streets once you know the island a little better.

Random thought: Whatever you own that CAN rust but is still not rusted...will become completely oxidized withing a few weeks, living on the Seawall. The salt air will wreak havoc on metals (anywhere on the coast...but even more-so on the beach-front). Just be sure to bring the WD-40 and PB Blaster! lol
hahah that bad for Broadwater. I have ruled that one out anyway. There another place that was recommended to me, Casa del Marr, it's in my price range but seems a bit small for what it is. I'll know more Tuesday once everyone opens back up from the 3 day weekend. As far as being crazy, it doesn't bother me. I'm used to living on beach in Florida for spring break, summer, etc... and the salt. I rinse my Jeep every day when I was on the beach, thanks for the heads up though about rust

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
hahah that bad for Broadwater. I have ruled that one out anyway. There another place that was recommended to me, Casa del Marr, it's in my price range but seems a bit small for what it is. I'll know more Tuesday once everyone opens back up from the 3 day weekend. As far as being crazy, it doesn't bother me. I'm used to living on beach in Florida for spring break, summer, etc... and the salt. I rinse my Jeep every day when I was on the beach, thanks for the heads up though about rust
Casa Del Mar is just a couple blocks up from the Seasons...right on the corner of 61st & Seawall....so it's a big time party place during the spring/ early summer months....sounds like you can deal w/ that though...lol. Not sure of the sq footage of those units, but you've obviously seen the floor plan.

Glad to see you not considering Broadwater...low end renters, drugs, noise, etc...not a good place.

FWIW- Although the covered parking at The Seasons doesn't do much to protect your vehicle(s)...they do have avail garages w/ some or all of those units.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate all the help from everyone. If The Seasons has a furnished unit, it's looking like I will go with that place. Calling them in the morning

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

made it to Galveston and moved into the Seasons. I think I'm really going to like it here. but holly crap man the sea spray is unreal. This is def worse than the beach in Florida. hardware store here I come for PB

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
made it to Galveston and moved into the Seasons. I think I'm really going to like it here. but holly crap man the sea spray is unreal. This is def worse than the beach in Florida. hardware store here I come for PB
LOL...Hell yea!

Wait until you see your windshield in the morning!! It's not just the salt with the spray..but also the sand. Not sure where you're parked, but it's a lot better in the back lot. My ex-g/fs car actually had noticeably more rust on the drivers side than the pass side because she always parked facing west...lol.

I think you'll dig living down there too. Some of my best memories were on the island. :beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.