JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a newbie I may have made a big mistake. Stopped on the way home and played in a big mud hole. Water up to rails of my stock 2014 JKU. Had to rock it a few times to get out. Stalled out twice but just started it back and kept going. Made it out and drove the 5 miles home. It ran fairly rough and stalled out on a couple of corners but made it home. After doing some reading I am scared to start it again. Any suggestions appreciated

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
By rails you mean rock rails/about bumper height? Did water flood across your hood when you entered the mud hole?

·
Registered
528 Posts
So the water was only as deep as the rock rails?

Did you hit it high speed and get any splash up on the hood?

Did you check to see if air cleaner box has water or muddy residue in it?

The first time I took mine in muddy water I got a small amount of water/mud in the air cleaner box and it sputtered a bit and made the check engine light on for about 30 minutes sputtered a few more times and has been fine since then. That was at 500 miles and it now has 4900 miles.

I am NOT suggesting that you restart the engine. Check the air cleaner and report back.

Guess I type too slow cause Sin52 beat me to it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, is your vehicle a manual gearbox? Did you operate the clutch while submerged in mud?
If so, you may have some problems related to that.....as well as possible water ingestion to the engine.

Personally, I stay the hell away from mud......its like dipping your vehicle in valve grinding paste, then going out and driving it. I hate the stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water at rock rails, did hitting with speed like an idiot ,water do come on the hood, is a manual transmission so did use clutch. Will check around the air intake/filter in the morning gas gauge was fine. Thanks for input

·
Registered
128 Posts
Water at rock rails, did hitting with speed like an idiot ,water do come on the hood, is a manual transmission so did use clutch. Will check around the air intake/filter in the morning gas gauge was fine. Thanks for input
Do a search on the JK forums on using your clutch while submerged....it apparently opens a vent so you'd want to check on what to do about that.

I've put a snorkel on mine since I dropped into a flooded section of track and found mud stains in the airbox intake....and I didn't think it was THAT deep, either. :cwm13:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mud does suck. It made into my engine it is at the shop now. Will be a very expensive lesson to let my inner redneck go. :shitstorm:

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. Pope John Paul II.:thefinger:
I hope you get your Jeep back in short order.

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
my $ goes on that stupid air intake inlet that the Chrysler goobs designed that basically says," I am here to suck air but REALLY excel at doing the same for water if you drive me thru water too quickly in this slightly up-pointed direction!....glub , glub" having gotten water and mud down it's throat.
I run the AFE dryS OEM replacing /shaped air filter and learned early on that the largest pre-filter hair net looking screen i could find -fit tightly over that and then placed down into the stock airbox - has prevented this several times for me. Especially running the long Synergy hood louvers.
I can only imagine it's worse and more susecptable to water in engine with anyone that has removed that instead for the CAI on just an intake tube. Srry man. Mud is so lame. ROCKS ! ITS ABOUT THE ROCKS! lol

slow down thru mudholes. These aint our Father's Jeeps......

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mud and water suck for sure. Unfortunately thats all we have here in Iowa. Any time I get in any water or mud something shitty happens.
Jeeps NEED a Snorkel if you want to do ANY mud or water in my opinion. Rugged Ridge has the best on I have seen, again in my opinion.

DONT pay for ANYTHING until you talk to your insurance company, thats why you have it. Insurance is for accidents, and you did this on accident. Just be honest with them and I'm guessing they will cover it. Seriously I have seen them cover far more "at fault" situations. Just think how much a motor is compared to body work from an accident. Hitting a deer would cost more to repair most of the time...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts